Melissa's Cuisine: Super Bowl Cookies with Marshmallow Fondant

Friday, April 22, 2011

Super Bowl Cookies with Marshmallow Fondant

Super Bowl Cookies with Marshmallow Fondant
I'm quite proud of these cookies.  They were the result of the second time I've made fondant covered cookies and I couldn't be happier with the results.  In fact, I almost didn't want to eat the cookies because they looked so fun!  My friends thought the same, "but these are too cool to eat!"  By the end of the Super Bowl party, I only had a few left, so they must have overcome that!

I love working with fondant.  I found a great recipe that tastes really good and is super easy to make and work with.  I've had more success working with fondant on cookies than cakes, but that means that I still have work to do.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how simple it is to make fondant.  It's fun because the possibilities really are endless!  You can decorate cookies, cakes, or cupcakes; you can make fondant confetti or cutouts, just let your imagination go wild!

Alright, enough talking...here's the recipe!

Marshmallow Fondant

You will need:

16 ounces large marshmallows
3 Tablespoons water (you might need a little more)
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 cup shortening

1.  Place marshmallows and water in a large microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Remove from microwave and stir.  Continue microwaving in 30 second increments and stirring until marshmallow mixture is melted and smooth.

2.  Generously grease your work area (I just use my kitchen counter) with shortening.

3.  Pour almost half (about 2 cups) of the powdered sugar onto your greased surface.  This is a messy task, but so worth it! Spread it out so you have about a 12 inch by 12 inch area of sugar (it should be pretty thickly covered).

4.  Dump marshmallow mixture onto powdered sugar.

5.  Pour more powdered sugar on top of marshmallow mixture (I use most of the remaining powdered sugar in this step, I usually leave about 1 to 1-1/2 cups to add in later).

6.  Generously grease your hands with shortening.  You want to be completely covered.

7.  Begin kneading marshmallow and powdered sugar together like you would dough.  Continue kneading, adding in remaining powdered sugar.  Grease your hands and counter as necessary to prevent fondant from sticking.

8.  Knead until fondant is smooth and elastic .  It should stretch without tearing.

9.  If you plan to color your fondant, divide into balls for each color.  Add food coloring (I used gel) and knead until evenly distributed.  I made my brown fondant by adding in 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and a tiny amount of water.

10.  Wrap fondant in plastic and let it sit overnight before using.  If you plan on storing it for a longer period of time, coat fondant with a thin layer of shortening before wrapping.  Then place in a plastic bag and store in your fridge (bring to room temperature before using). If you want to use the fondant right away, you can, just make sure it's well blended.

11.  When you're ready to use your fondant, roll it to 1/8 inch thick.  Then cut into desired shapes.  I spread a very thin layer of light corn syrup over each cookie before placing the fondant on the cookie. I've also used a thin layer of white frosting to adhere fondant to cookies.  Both ways worked well.

I used my favorite Sugar Cookie recipe.
The details on my cookies are made with Royal Icing.


8 comments:

  1. Too cute - you are one crafty gal!! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday.

    Oh, and if you haven’t done so already - don’t forget to pop on over to Little Brick Ranch to enter the Joey Totes Earth Day GIVEAWAY!!!

    **Bloggy Tip of The Day - Make sure you have an email address associated with your profile to make it easier for people to reply to your comments!! :) **

    ReplyDelete
  2. how cute and love the thought of the marshmallow fondant

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so cute! I've never used fondant, but you make it look doable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those look absolutely amazing!! :) Nice work!! I think I'll have to try that some time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are cute! You have great sharp lines with your fondant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog. Really looking forward to read more. Really Cool.
    stojo in singapore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips