Melissa's Cuisine: Buttermilk Pancakes

Monday, January 21, 2013

Buttermilk Pancakes

By now, you are well aware of my love for breakfast foods.  Especially pancakes!  So it's no surprise, when browsing through Julie's Eats and Treats to find a recipe to make for this month's Secret Recipe Club, that I was drawn to her mom's recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes

Julie's blog features Simple, Easy but Delicious Food. I was drawn to a number of her recipes.  My "short list" included a whopping 13 recipes, but I had a major craving for pancakes so they ended up winning out.  I'm sure I'll be making more of her recipes in the future.

I like to make pancakes as an easy but delicious supper.  Served with an omelet and fruit, this made for a filling meal.  I added a cup of chocolate and peanut butter chips.  (I'm not a fan of syrup, so I put the sweetness in my pancakes.)  I think these would also be great with some blueberries or any other add-ins you choose.  I made a double batch of pancakes so I would be able to have pancakes for breakfast through out the week.  I've enjoyed these pancakes nearly every day last week, and I'll certainly make them again!
Buttermilk Pancakes

Makes 9-5" pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, beaten
1-1/8 cup buttermilk
2 T
ablespoons butter, melted
1 cup chocolate chips (or other add-in of your choice)

1.  Preheat and lightly grease an electric griddle.

2.  Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl.

3.  Add the egg, buttermilk, and butter.  Stir until just combined, the batter may still have a few lumps.


4.  Drop 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle, spreading lightly with the bottom of the cup to even out the batter. 

5.  Cook until lightly browned on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining batter.

19 comments:

  1. I love to serve brinner! These pancakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am convinced the addition of buttermilk makes everything better. I am using it more and more. I like to top my pancakes with raspberry jam instead of syrup, I will have to tell my kids I'm not the only person in the world who doesn't have syrup on their pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get tired of seeing a lovely, scrumptious stack of pancakes. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fantastic pancakes...so light and fluffy! Yummy SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are just picture-perfect! I love that you put chocolate and peanut butter chips in them. Have you ever tried smearing pb on your pancake? I know some people that prefer that over any thing else and I quite like it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pancakes look so fluffy and delicious! Peanut butter chips are a must try...can never get enough pb! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a breakfast food addict, too! You just can't go wrong with classic buttermilk pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmmmmmmmmm classic! I'll take a short stack please :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look wonderful, Melissa! I love the chocolate chips in there. I should have made these for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look divine! I wish I had a stack in front of me right now. Glad to be part of SRC with you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just today my friend was asking how to make nice pancakes and here I found this recipe! Great timing :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those pancakes look wonderful. I want to lick my screen. My daugher wants to learn how to make them from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have pancakes every saturday. Glad to have another recipe to try! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of adding the sweetness into the pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can't go wrong with picking a "mom's" recipe and a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Melissa,
    We just love Buttermilk Pancakes, these look awesome! Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your tasty recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. i adore pancakes for dinner!!! big on the blueberries and strawbs. it makes it healthy then, no? ;)

    happy src reveal! xo, kristy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips