Melissa's Cuisine: Asiago Crusty Bread

Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Asiago Crusty Bread

Mmm…the smell of freshly baked bread, wafting through the house. If you ask me, there are few smells that can top that. I absolutely love homemade bread. Growing up, we would often use the time delay setting on our bread machine so we could wake up to the smell of baking bread. Starting the day with a piece of hot bread, slathered in butter and honey was something I would always look forward to.

I have a bread machine that I love to use, however since I’ve discovered this super easy recipe for homemade bread, I have neglected my bread machine. This method was totally new to me, but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to try it out. Basically, you make your bread dough with a tiny amount of yeast. The dough rises for a long time, 8-12 hours, before being baked in a hot cast iron pot (I used my Dutch oven). The end result was a delicious loaf bread with a crusty exterior and a chewy interior. It held up perfectly for sandwiches and paninis.

If you visit the site of the original recipe, you’ll notice that you can add in pretty much anything you want to this bread dough. I added in some Asiago cheese, but I’m looking forward to trying many other versions!

Crusty Bread
Makes 1 loaf, approximately 12 slices

3 cups all purpose flour
1-3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1-1/2 cups water
1 cup Asiago cheese (save a little bit to sprinkle on top!)

1.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and yeast. 
2.  Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms.  Stir in Asiago cheese.
3.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours.  I left mine out overnight. 
4.  Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.
5.  Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape it into a ball. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let set while the pot finishes heating. 
6.  Carefully remove the hot pot from the oven and set the dough in the center of it.  Sprinkle with Asiago cheese.
7.  Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.
8.  After 30 minutes, remove the lid and bake the bread for an additional 15 minutes. 
Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool. Wait until the bread is completely cool before slicing.
Source: Simply So Good 

14 comments:

  1. Yum! I am a sucker for warm crusty bread with lots of butter! :) Pinning and trying - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    Bread is my weakness and this Asiago Crusty Bread would be awesome with a hot bowl of soup for this cold winters day. Thank you so much for celebrating TWO YEARS with FULL PLATE THURSDAY, I appreciate your visit!
    Come Back Soon
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding new bread recipes and this looks scrumptious! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! I am obsessed with the asiago bagels at Panera so I am sure I would LOVE this bread.

    Thanks so much for linking up at Marvelous Mondays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bread looks fantastic! Love the sprinkle of Asiago on top. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a question. Can you leave it out over night with the cheese in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left it out on the counter in a bag and I did not have a problem with it!

      Delete
  7. I love homemade bread. This one looks artisan-y. Thank you for sharing your find! Lynaea @ EveryDayBloom.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Utilize spread or olive oil. Protein and some blended sorts will react to plain bread with spiked glucose levels and an expanded hunger. I've perused allegations that eateries purposely serve free starter bread to make you hungrier, and along these lines arrange more. bread machine manual

    ReplyDelete
  10. If your cake starts to smell before the bake cycle ends, check it Cakes often begin to smell delicious when they finish, or are in the last stages of, baking.bread machines

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should to go after the shape of crusty bread as the taste and the smell of the bread will amaze you while you cannot resist without taking a bite. Few times ago I read about the scanpan techniq review and its makes me interested to use this pan in my kitchen. What you think?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips