Melissa's Cuisine: Crunchwraps

Monday, November 05, 2012

Crunchwraps


Why is it that the foods that are the worst for you nutritionally usually taste the best?  For instance:  Oreo cookies, french fries, a slice of triple meat extra cheesy pizza, donuts, deep fried pickles, ice-cream...the list could go on and on.  Another example could be almost anything from a fast food restaurant.  It's so easy and convenient but can be oh, so bad for you!

After a long day at work, or a long work week, it's so tempting for me to stop and pick up a quick meal on our way home.  Usually I'll opt for a quick pizza as a surprise for Mike but we certainly enjoy our local fast food restaurants too.  We try to limit how often we eat out--we have to watch our budgets and our waistlines, you know! 

But I've found a healthier alternative, making fast food copy cat recipes at home!  A friend recently mentioned how much he loves Crunchwrap Supremes from Taco Bell.  While I have to admit, I've never had one before, they sounded so good I knew I had to make them at home.  This recipe was so easy to put together (especially because I had taco meat in the freezer), and Mike and I both loved it.

One great thing about this recipe is that you can totally customize it to fit your preferences.  Feel free to use ground beef or ground turkey.  Need vegetarian?  Forget the meat and use re-fried beans instead.  Then top it off with your choice of toppings--tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole--whatever your heart desires!

Crunchwraps

Makes 2

2 burrito sized flour tortillas
1 cup taco meat
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 Doritos chips, any flavor (we used Enchilada Supreme)
additional taco toppings as desired

1.  Warm tortillas in the microwave for about 20 seconds, until they are soft and pliable.

2.  Spoon 1/2 of the taco meat mixture onto each tortilla.  Keep the meat in a circle in the center of the tortilla.

3. Top the taco meat with diced tomatoes and then sprinkle with cheddar cheese.

4.  Arrange 4 Doritos chips on top of the cheese on each tortilla.

5.  Starting at the bottom of the flour tortilla, fold the edge up to the center.  Continue in a clock-wise direction around the tortilla, folding the edge up to the center to enclose the filling.  (See above picture for a finished tortilla.)

6.  Spray a small frying pan with cooking spray.  Place the folded side of the tortilla down in the pan and press gently with a large spatula.  Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, then flip and cook another 3 minutes.  Repeat with remaining tortilla.

Serve hot and topped with your desired toppings.

Inspired by Taco Bell

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love these at Taco Bell, because I love the soft and chewy texture!!
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I'm going to have to try. Thanks!
    PS - love the slippers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE THESE THINGS! I probably ate three a week when I was in college. Found your blog on Manic Monday link party and I'm excited to follow along. I am working on a yearly meal plan (yes, yearly). Can't wait to add Crunch Wraps to it. Actually I think I'm going to go to Taco Bell for lunch. Hehe. Check out my blog if you get a chance.

    xoxo,

    Sarah
    woodsfamilyofthree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi new follower and your November Foodie Pal. Plesse email me your preferences. southernmadeintheshade@gmail.com.
    I can't wait to make this delicious dish! Kathy B

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids will love this dish. Anything that has doritos make my kids happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, this sounds easy and good. Partying from Miz Helen's Country Cottage.

    We may have met by chance...but we become friends by choice.
    http://simpleesue.com/try-one-new-recipe-a-week-best-pa-dutch-apple-dumplings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes please! So yummy!

    Found on you Inspiration Friday. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to try one of your crunchwraps it looks awesome! Have a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word! I'm having this for lunch today! I love those crunch wraps. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back when I ate fast food regularly in high school - Taco Bell was my friends and my go-to place. I got Crunchwraps all the time. They are just too good. It has all the different textures and flavors! The thing I think I like most about Taco Bell's menu is how easily you can make their food at home. I like how you used Doritos in yours and will definitely have to try that next time I make them. Thank you for linking up to last week's Tasty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips