Melissa's Cuisine: Upside Down Banana Cake

Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Upside Down Banana Cake

I'm the person who gets excited when I see that the bananas on my counter are turning brown.  I know that brown bananas mean I get a chance to make something delicious with them.  Typically I turn to banana bread, which I love.  However, after seeing this recipe when I was searching for the perfect recipe for last month's SRC, I knew I had to make it!
This cake is made from a fantastic banana bread recipe but what really makes it special is the upside down topping.  Bananas are mixed with butter and sugar, resulting in a caramelized banana topping that is delicious! 
Upside Down Banana Cake

Serves 16

Ingredients:
6 Tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 bananas, thinly sliced

1 cup sugar
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
2 eggs
2-1/2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup milk

1.  Cream the butter and brown sugar together until well blended.  Press into the bottom of a cake pan.  (I used a 9x13 and my cake was quite thin, I'd go smaller if possible).

2.  Place sliced bananas on top of the butter/sugar mixture.

3.  In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the sugar and butter.

4.  Add eggs and mix until fully incorporated.

5.  Mix in bananas and vanilla.

6.  In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.

7.  Add dry ingredients to the banana mixture, alternating between the dry ingredients and the milk until everything is mixed together.

8.  Pour batter over the banana slices.

9.  Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes (if using a 9x13" pan, longer if you pan is smaller).  The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

10.  Place a flat plate or platter on top of the cake pan and flip it over.  Remove the cake pan and allow the caramel topping to drip down.  (Be sure to do this while the cake is still hot or your cake will absorb the caramel topping instead {like mine did!})

Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.  Cover any leftovers.

Slightly adapted from: NYCity Eats

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I love bananas and always have a ton to make banana bread but I get tired of it so this is a great alternative :) Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really super post. Must admit that you are amid the best writer I have read. I appreciate your making the effort to discuss this class of article.
    Alfresco Bars in Singapore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips