Melissa's Cuisine: Zucchini Brownies

Friday, September 28, 2012

Zucchini Brownies

On Monday I mentioned that I enjoy spending time preparing my garden in the spring.  I also love checking it throughout the summer to see what is ripe and ready to be enjoyed.  I don't plant any zucchini plants, but I certainly don't turn a zucchini down when it's offered to me.  My boss brought in 3 large buckets full of tomatoes, zucchini, and eggplant from her garden last week.  I took a few tomatoes and zucchinis home with me.  The zucchini sat on the counter, waiting to be made into something delicious.

These zucchini brownies certainly are delicious!  If I didn't know that they contained 2 cups of shredded zucchini, I never would have guessed.  They are a cake-type brownie and full of intense chocolate flavor.  I'd consider them to be fairly healthy too--they are made with whole wheat flour, applesauce (in place of oil), and zucchini.  Thanks to the zucchini, the brownies are incredibly moist.  These brownies are also incredibly easy to make and come together in a short amount of time.  Unless you're like me and your grater breaks halfway through the first zucchini so you have to shred the rest with a hand grater...oh well!  The brownies were worth it!
Zucchini Brownies

Serves 9-12 (makes 1 8x8" pan) 

2 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups grated zucchini
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1.  In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla, sugar, salt, and applesauce.

2.  In a larger bowl, sift together the flour and cocoa powder.  Stir in the baking soda and cinnamon.

3.  Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.  The mixture will look very dry.

4.  Add the grated zucchini and chocolate chips and stir until combined.

5.  Pour the batter into a greased 8x8" pan.

6.  Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownie comes out clean.

Cool completely before cutting.  Cover and store any leftovers at room temperature.

Source:  Baltic Maid

3 comments:

  1. I just ended up with two massive zucchinis the other day! I know what I'll be doing with them now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. We seem to go to the same baking school. :-) I do love a good brownie, and I imagine my twins will be VERY happy to see these appear. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    These brownies look delish! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips