Melissa's Cuisine: Puppy Chow Bars

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Puppy Chow Bars

By now, I'm sure you are aware of my love of puppy chow. It's a favorite of mine and Mike's.  Judging by the way my fellow youth leaders devoured the bowl I made for our recent retreat, it seems to be a favorite of a lot of people.

I've made a few variations of puppy chow, and a couple different kinds of marshmallow treats.  I wondered what would happen if I were to combine the two loved snacks.  The result?  A delicious bar that tastes like puppy chow without the mess of powdered sugar all over. These bars were fun to make and eat, not to mention they tasted fantastic!  I'll certainly be making them again.
Puppy Chow Bars

Makes 1 8x8" pan, about 9 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
powdered sugar

1.  In a microwave safe bowl, combine peanut butter, butter, and chocolate chips.

2.  Microwave for 1 minute and stir until smooth.

3.  Stir in vanilla.

4.  Pour cereal into a large mixing bowl.  Pour chocolate mixture over the cereal and stir until cereal is coated completely.

5.  Press cereal mixture into an 8x8" baking dish.

6.  Sprinkle powdered sugar over bars.

7.  Let the bars set for about 1 hour before cutting them into squares.

These bars are best eaten the day they're made.  Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container.

9 comments:

  1. You've done it again - this sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love puppy chow! So much. Totally pinning this recipe!

    I saw this on Creative Thursday's linky party :) I'd love for you to check out my pumpkin carob donuts I shared as well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta have some.. please!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious!! I would love for you to share on my linky party. Still live until tomorrow night. Thanks ,Nichi http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/09/tasty-thursdays-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks amazing! Can't go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love puppy chow and this is such a great idea! I can't wait to make this for the kids :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa,
    My son is going to LOVE this recipe. This looks super yummy. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week. Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post is an excellent example of why I keep coming back to read your excellent quality content. I'm really impressed with the content you provided. It's really helpful for me and I'm sure for others as well. Keep it up
    Alfresco Bars in Singapore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips