Melissa's Cuisine: German Style Soft Pretzels

Monday, September 17, 2012

German Style Soft Pretzels

"Delicious."

"The best thing you've ever made."

"You should sell these they're so good!"

"These taste just like those pretzels you buy at a pretzel stand!"

Yes, seriously, those are just a few of the comments that Mike made after trying one of these soft pretzels!
This month my Secret Recipe Club assignment was Lacy's blog, NYC Eats.  Lacy features restaurant reviews and local (NYC) foodie events as well as recipes on her blog.  I selected a few recipes from her blog and I actually made 2 of them.  I decided to feature the pretzels for this month's reveal because they were so delicious!

One thing I really loved about the pretzels (besides the taste) was the ease of making them.  For this recipe, you don't have to boil a pot of water with baking soda to dip the pretzels in.  Lacy's recipe just had me dip the pretzels in room temperature water, so eliminating the boiling water was a nice surprise.  

I made these pretzels for Mike and I to enjoy for a Friday night movie night.  We love to pop some popcorn, crack open an icy cold drink, and relax on the couch with a good movie.  We got lucky because we enjoyed both popcorn and pretzels!  Plus, for dinner I decided to wrap pretzel dough around a couple hot dogs.  (Allow a couple extra minutes of baking time if you wrap hot dogs.)  Mike is already asking me when I'll make these pretzels again!
German Style Soft Pretzels

Makes 8

Ingredients:
1 cup warm milk (about 110 degrees)
2-1/4 teaspoons yeast
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2-1/2 cups flour
2 Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons baking soda
coarse sea salt (or pretzel salt)
butter for brushing on top

1.  Pour the warm milk into a large bowl and sprinkle with the yeast.  Let it sit for about 2 minutes.

2.  Mix in the brown sugar and 1 cup of flour.

3.  Melt the 2 Tablespoons of butter and stir into the mixture.

4.  Add the remaining flour and salt.  Mix to form a slightly sticky dough.

5.  Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth but still slightly sticky.

6.  Shape the dough into a ball, place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place to rise until the dough doubles (about 1 hour). 

7.  Punch the dough down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.

8.  Divide the dough into 8 pieces.  Roll and stretch each piece into a 20-25 inch rope.

9.  Form each piece into a pretzel shape by forming a U-shape, then holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press lightly onto the bottom of the pretzel.

10.  In a shallow baking dish (or pie tin), dissolve 3 Tablespoons baking soda into 1-1/2 cups water.

11.  Dip each pretzel into the baking soda water and place formed pretzels on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and lightly sprayed with cooking spray. 

12.  Sprinkle pretzels with salt.

13.  Bake pretzels at 450 for 8-10 minutes, until golden.

14.  Remove pretzels from the oven and brush with melted butter while hot.

Store any leftovers in an airtight container.

*To make pretzel dogs, follow pretzel instructions up to step #8.  Then wrap a dough rope around each hot dog.  Continue with steps #10-14, but bake for 10-12 minutes.

Source:  NYC Eats

23 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm always impressed by the yeast things you make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job, they look delicious. I have a thing for soft pretzels too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so soft and tasty....great SRC choice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did we have to look at these right when our salty snack cravings hit? Yummm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love me some warm, salted pretzels! Do you deliver? Bring a side of honey mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super delicious sounding!!!!! I love the Pig-in-a-blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so good... I love warm homemade pretzels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pretzels look fantastic! My kids would gobble up the hot dogs! I might have to make these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another MUST make recipe from the SRC! When my youngest comes home for fall break I will try these beauties...I remember seeing them on Lacy's site, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soft pretzels have been on my list for awhile, you made them look and sound even more tempting! Some pretzels, a squeeze of mustard and a bottle of beer..a girl can dream right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love pretzels Melissa and these look stunning!
    I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, let me know when you open that pretzel stand, I'll be first in line! ;) In the mean time, maybe I'll try whipping these babies up in my own kitchen. I love soft pretzels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look amazing!! I've been trying to get up the courage to make home made pretzels because I love them, but I always Chicken out. I really need to just do it!! Thanks for sharing - great pick for SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretzels have been on my list to make for so long. It sounds like I need to try these ones!!! Thanks for the great recipe!! (found you from Pound 4 Pennies)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I want a pretzel dog and I just got had a wisdom tooth pulled. I know what I'll be making tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe/

    ReplyDelete
  16. What? No boiling water! ANd they still browned up nicely. Can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing on Pin It Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm pretzels. Love it!

    I saw this on Creative Thursday's linky party :) I'd love for you to check out my pumpkin carob donuts I shared as well! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love pretzels and it's been a long time since I made them.
    I work a lot (!) with yeast and I think you did a wonderful job!
    Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for joining our party last week. This is the featured article this week at Pounds4Pennies Pin It Wednesday Party!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh and please link up your linky party on my Linky List Page! I would love to have you there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll take a dozen please :) These look delish! I can't wait to try this recipe. I've been looking for a soft pretzel recipe for awhile now. Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday :)
    Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am trying these today! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips