Melissa's Cuisine: Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Monday, September 24, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

One of my favorite things about spring is planting my garden.  I enjoy planning out what I'm going to plant and where it's going to go.  This year was my second time having my own garden (though my parents had one growing up).  I think of my first year as a trial run because I wasn't quite sure what I was doing.  I can't say that I know what I was doing this year, but it's certainly fun to learn!

I don't grow zucchini in my garden, but many of my friends do.  The zucchini crop was abundant this year and I was a happy recipient of many pieces of zucchini.  The great thing about zucchini is that you can eat it in many ways.  Mike and I enjoy grilling zucchini coins.  I also grate up zucchini and freeze it to make bread and muffins. 

These chocolate zucchini muffins are a delicious flavor combination.   I made 4 jumbo muffins as well as nearly a dozen regular sized muffins.  I froze the majority of them, and I have enjoyed pulling the frozen muffins out of the freezer and thawing them for a fresh tasting breakfast!

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Makes 12-18 muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup coconut oil
2 cups of shredded zucchini
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 ounces chocolate, melted

1. In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda. Mix and set aside.

2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat eggs and sugar together on a medium speed for one minute.

3. Slowly add oil while the mixer is on.

4. Add the shredded zucchini and vanilla, and continue mixing.

5. Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the dry mixture.

6. Add the melted chocolate and mix until all the ingredients are combined.

7.  Divide the batter between greased muffin tins.

8.  Bake at 350 for 20-23 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Store any leftovers in an airtight container.  This muffins also freeze well.

Source:  Will Cook For Smiles

4 comments:

  1. Hello , really wooow and new one recipe
    i love the Ingredients i must try it this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    These muffins look super yummy and moist. Cant wait to try the recipe. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sounds like something I would love! I've never used coconut oil though. Can you substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can substitute vegetable oil for the coconut oil :) You could even substitute applesauce!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips