Melissa's Cuisine: Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches

Friday, September 21, 2012

Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches


I love to use coupons when I shop.  I'm no extreme couponer by any means, but it's become a personal challenge--a game--for me.  Each week I aim to buy everything that we need and come in under budget.  Thanks to coupons, I've been able to achieve that goal most weeks. 

I do my grocery shopping on Friday mornings and when Mike gets home from work I'm excited to show him the deals I got that day.  I show him products and have him guess what I paid for them.  Cheesy, I know...but it's fun to see how much money we're saving.

Sometimes I'll buy items that are on sale for an irresistible price, but are products that I don't typically purchase.  One of those items was a box of Carrot Cake mix.  I don't remember what I paid for it, but I know it was cheap.  However, because Mike doesn't like cake, I did not want to make an entire cake for myself. 

So there the cake mix sat. 

Until I saw this recipe.  I knew I hit the jackpot when Mike took a bite of the cookie sandwich and mumbled "mmmm".  I intended to share these cookies with my parents one Sunday, but Mike and I enjoyed them too much to share.  Oops!  At least that gives me an excuse to make them again...


Carrot Crinkle Cookie Sandwiches

Makes 10

Ingredients:
6 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs
1 (18.25 oz) box Carrot Cake mix
flour, as needed
1/2 cup powdered sugar

3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
3 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1-1/4 cup powdered sugar

1.  In a large bowl, mix butter, eggs, and carrot cake mix until no lumps are left.  (*If needed, add flour 1/8 cup at a time to achieve a batter that can be rolled into balls.  I needed to add nearly 1/2 cup of flour.)

2.  Roll dough into 1 inch balls and coat in powdered sugar.

3.  Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets that have been lined with parchment paper.

4.  Bake cookies at 375 for 8-10 minutes, until the tops have cracked and the tops are mostly set. 

5.  Cool cookies for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

6.  While the cookies are cooling, cream butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth.

7.  Beat in vanilla and cinnamon.

8.  Add powdered sugar and beat until frosting is smooth.

9.  Spread frosting onto one cookie and then top with another, pressing down slightly to adhere cookies.

Serve immediately.  Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge--bring to room temperature before serving.

Source:  The Novice Chef

7 comments:

  1. Okay, so will you come teach me to coupon? I never remember to bring them, ha! LOVE these, pinned. My husband will love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned everything I know from couponing at savingaddiction.com. I love seeing how much money I can save :)

      Delete
  2. I would love to set myself a coupon challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little bit of work, but oh so worth the savings!

      Delete
  3. Wow these look so awesome, I'd never have guessed these were made with a carrot cake mix!!! I'm not a big fan of carrot cake, however, I suspect these would convert me instantly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love carrot cake and these look amazing.
    Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips