Melissa's Cuisine: Slow Cooker Mango BBQ Pulled Pork

Monday, August 27, 2012

Slow Cooker Mango BBQ Pulled Pork


A couple of weeks ago, Mike and I had some very special guests over for dinner.  Almost 2 years ago, my best friend married the love of her life, a man she met in Romania.  They met on a mission trip nearly 10 years ago and dated long distance.  Then, in 2009, he was granted a visa so he could come here and they could get married.  I’m ecstatic for my friend of course, but her husband moved a long way from his family.  After a lot of planning, his parents and brother were able to come here for a 3 week visit.  I’ve spent time with this family during my trips to Romania, so I was thrilled that they would be visiting our home.  I wanted to make a meal that we would all enjoy, but it needed to be something that required a small amount of work because I had to work the day they were coming over.

When cooking for a crowd, one of the easiest recipes I can think of to serve is pulled pork. The hands-on time is minimal and if you use your crock pot, the meat can cook while you’re at work or preparing other aspects of the meal.  Of course, the delicious aroma of the pork filling your kitchen is an added bonus.

I love mangoes so when I saw a recipe for mango BBQ sauce, I knew I had to try it.  The mango flavor is subtle, but just enough.  I served the pulled pork on homemade cheese buns (look for that recipe on Wednesday!)  Everyone really enjoyed the meal.  We had plenty of leftovers that Mike and I have enjoyed for other meals.  My friend who watched Champ last weekend declared the pulled pork “awesome”—I’d have to agree with her!

Slow Cooker Mango BBQ Pulled Pork

16-20 servings

Ingredients:
4lb pork loin
8 ounces Pepsi
2 mangoes, peeled and diced, pits reserved
1 bottle BBQ sauce (original flavor)

1.  Place pork loin and mango pits in your crock pot.

2.  Pour Pepsi over the pork.

3.  Cook pork on low for 7-8 hours.

4.  While the pork is cooking, puree the diced mangoes.

5.  In a bowl, combine puree mangoes and BBQ sauce.

6.  When the pork is completely cooked, shred it with 2 forks.

7.  Pour mango BBQ sauce over the shredded pork and continue cooking in the crock pot for 30 more minutes.

Serve warm pork on buns.

Inspired by: Little Kitchen Big Flavors

6 comments:

  1. Love the addition of mango in this! That is actually what made me click on your thumbnail.
    Just pinned this to make later, except we will probably use Coke instead of Pepsi. ;)
    Stopping over from Mix It Up Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious with the mango! I love homemade bbq sandwiches! I may have to try this out soon. :)
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so good! I bet that mango addition was fabulous! Pinning :)
    Thanks for sharing this at Mom's Test Meal Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,
    This sounds delicious! I love pulled pork and I can't wait to try this recipe. We love mango's. Thank you so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can’t wait to see what you link up this week. I wouldn’t be able to do these wonderful parties without your participation. Have a wonderful week.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very good! I just made pulled pork last night except it was in the oven, I let it sit overnight in the fridge with a spice rub on it and after baking I added BBQ sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. just made this, came out so good! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips