Melissa's Cuisine: Cheddar Rolls

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cheddar Rolls

These are the rolls that I made to serve the Mango BBQ Pulled Pork on a couple weeks ago.  These rolls were perfect for pulled pork because they are sturdy enough to hold up to the juices.  They were simple to make and the cheddar in the rolls added a great flavor.  The original recipe calls for jalapeno peppers to be added as well but since I didn't have any, I omitted those.  I think they would be a great addition though.  These Cheddar Rolls were perfect for cold sandwiches and I know they would make a great burger bun as well.  I think these will be my go-to roll for pulled pork sandwiches!
Cheddar Rolls

Makes 8 rolls

Ingredients:
 
1 cup lukewarm water
2-1/4 teaspoons yeast
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 eggs
3 Tablespoons sugar
3-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (optional)
 
1.  Pour warm water into the bowl of your stand mixer and sprinkle yeast on top.  Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, until frothy.
 
2.  Add the olive oil, 1 egg, and sugar to the bowl and mix.
 
3.  Add the flour, salt, and shredded cheddar cheese and mix on low speed with a dough hook until the dough holds together, about 2 minutes.
 
4.  Increase the speed to medium and continue to knead the dough for 5 minutes.
 
5.  Cover the dough and let it rise until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
 
6.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured workspace.  Divide dough in half and then divide each half into 4 pieces. 
 
7.  Roll dough into rounds and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.  Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each roll.
 
8.  Cover dough with a damp towel and let it rise for 20 minutes plus oven preheating time.
 
9.  Whisk the remaining egg with 1 Tablespoon of water.  Brush over each roll.
 
10.  Bake rolls at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.
 
Allow the rolls to cool at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving them. 
 
These rolls freeze well.  (I made mine a few days before our dinner and froze them until the day I needed them.  I let them thaw on the counter and they tasted fresh.)  Store any leftovers in an airtight container, or freeze.

Source: Confections of a Foodie Bride

2 comments:

  1. Yum! When are you having us over? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful rolls!
    Simple recipe with great addition of cheddar-cheese

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips