Melissa's Cuisine: Tzatziki Sauce

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Tzatziki Sauce


I love cucumbers.  The smell and taste of them makes me think of summer.  I enjoy eating them raw, but also in salads and on sandwiches.  I'd never had Tzatziki sauce before (to my knowledge), but I knew I would enjoy it because of the cucumber.  Tzatziki can be used as a sauce on gyros, as an accompaniment to meat, or as a dip for pitas or fresh vegetables.  It has so many possibilities and it's so delicious!

As promised on Monday, this is the sauce I used for our flatbreads. I'll be sharing the rest of the filling on Friday. Patience my friends...

Tzatziki Sauce

Makes 1 cup

You will need:
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 of a large cucumber
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced to a smooth paste

1.  Scoop yogurt into a small bowl and mix until smooth.

2.  Peel cucumber and grate it into fine pieces.  Place in cheesecloth and squeeze to remove the water.

3.  Add the cucumber, salt, olive oil, and minced garlic to the yogurt and mix well.

4.  Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. 

Source: Simply.Food

6 comments:

  1. I love Tzatziki sauce! I grew up with it being a staple on our dinner table. Great for dipping any old vegie or meat. You've got a good recipe there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tzatziki. I've never even thought to try to make it though. I've got to try it with your flat bread;) Thanks for sharing at Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday. Hope to see you there next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been looking for a recipe as easy as this for Tzatziki!! I'm so glad I found you on I Heart Naps link party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous- will be pinning for use very soon- we love Greek food! :) Found you through the Country Momma Cooks link party- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for a great Tzatziki sauce! Thanks for sharing! Now following through GFC. Love from Whimsically Homemade!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Tzatkizi looks delish! Can' wait to try it o a good pita sandwich. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips