Melissa's Cuisine: Strawberry Cream Pie

Friday, June 01, 2012

Strawberry Cream Pie

It's starting to warm up and really feel like summer-time here in Michigan.  Last weekend we enjoyed some hot weather--up around 90 degrees.  Today, it is much cooler and rainy, but that doesn't stop me from having summer-fever.  I love the warm weather, and of course, the delicious foods that come with summer.

This is my second year planting a garden.  Last year was what I call my "trial-run"...I was able to figure out what plants grow well and what plants are really worth the effort.  I have tomatoes, snap peas, celery, 2 kinds of lettuce, kale, cucumber, watermelon, and strawberries.  I have a few first year strawberries, and a few second year.  The other day, Mike and I were able to enjoy the very first strawberry from our own garden--it was delicious!  While I can't say I grew the strawberries used in this dessert myself, I did make the dessert and that's got to count for something...right?
Strawberry Cream Pie

Serves 8-10

You will need:

1 graham cracker crumb pie crust (store-bought, or make your own{directions below})
1 (8oz.) container Philadelphia White Chocolate Indulgence
1 (8oz.) container Cool-Whip, thawed
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1 quart of Strawberries

1.  In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and Cool-Whip until smooth.

2.  Set aside 3-5 large strawberries for decoration and then dice the remaining strawberries into bite-sized pieces.  (I cut mine into quarters length-wise, and then cut each piece in half width-wise).

3.  Carefully stir diced strawberries into the cream mixture until evenly distributed.

4.  Spoon filling into the prepared pie crust.

5.  Refrigerate at least 4 hours, until pie is set, before serving.

6.  Garnish pie with set aside strawberries before serving.


Graham Cracker Crumb Pie Crust

Makes 1 8-9" pie crust

You will need:
10 graham crackers (approximately 1 package)
6 Tablespoons margarine, melted

1.  In your food processor, grind graham crackers into crumbs.  You may have to do this in a couple batches depending on the size of your food processor.  (If you don't have a food processor, place the crackers in a large Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin.)

2.  Mix the margarine into the crushed crumbs.  This can be done in your food processor, or a separate bowl.

3.  Press the crumbs firmly into a pie tin.  Be sure to press it up the edges as well.

4.  Bake at 350 for 5-7 minutes, until lightly browned.

“I’m partying at the Pi Day Pie Party at Crazy for Crust today. Come party with us!”

5 comments:

  1. Yumm! I'm looking forward to some homegrown strawberries - or at least some I can get at the produce stand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I love strawberries and I am always in need of another fantastic recipe! Thanks for sharing! Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, what a fantastic summer treat! And it's a pie...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Simple Sunday! You are a featured recipe this week! Stop by and check it out!!
    http://cupsbykim.blogspot.com/2012/06/sweet-simple-sunday-ten.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm, This is the perfect pie for summer! Thanks so much for sharing at Creative Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips