Melissa's Cuisine: Grilled Chicken Gyros

Friday, June 22, 2012

Grilled Chicken Gyros

In December, Mike and I were in Toronto with my family and we stopped at a tiny restaurant for lunch.  I ordered a shawarma and I was immediately enthralled with the taste.  I couldn't stop thinking about them after we returned home and I told Mike that we needed to find a place nearby that we could get shawarmas.  I couldn't find a shawarma joint, but I was able to find a (tiny) restaurant that sells gyros.  There's a slight difference between a shawarma and a gyro, but I was thrilled to find a similar restaurant.  The food is incredible, and I've told a few people about this little hole-in-the-wall restaurant that they must visit!  A couple weeks ago, a new Mediterranean restaurant opened up in my home town.  Mike and I ate there one day and were thrilled with the flavors of the gyros we enjoyed. 

I've been so obsessed with gyros lately that I decided I must try to make them at home.  When I selected my Secret Recipe Club recipe for June, I knew that I would use the Man'ooshe Lebanese Flatbread to make gyros.  I found a fabulous Tzatziki sauce and I knew I had the makings of a fabulous dinner. 

Mike and I invited some of our best friends over for supper (and a campfire in our new fire pit!) last Saturday night.  My friend, Alecia, visited Greece while studying abroad in college, and said she ate gyros everyday when she was there.  She took a bite out of her gyro and said that it tasted just like what she ate in Greece.  She said it brought back a lot of memories.  And then, she asked for my recipe.  I would say this recipe was a grand success!

Grilled Chicken Gyros

Serves 4-6

You will need:
4 large chicken breasts, cut into strips
4 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons curry powder
4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 garlic cloves, minced
4-6 flatbreads
Tzatziki sauce
diced tomatoes
sliced pickles
diced onions

1.  In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, curry powder, olive oil, salt, ground cumin, and garlic. 

2.  Place chicken strips in a large Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over it.  Seal bag and toss to coat.

3.  Refrigerate chicken in marinade for 3-4 hours (the longer the better!).  Remove chicken from the fridge about 20 minutes before grilling. 

4.  Place chicken strips on a pre-heated grill.  (You can skewer the chicken strips, or use a grilling basket, if desired). 

5.  Grill chicken for 4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is fully cooked.

6.  Top each flatbread with a scoop of Tzatziki sauce, then top with grilled chicken, tomatoes, pickles, and onions.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the awesome recipe. I love gyros too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay I LOVE gyros so this is getting marked to my favorites so that I can make this one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We make something similar to this but I love the addition of curry! The first time I made tzatiki I even used homemade yogurt! LOL I might have over done it....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips