Melissa's Cuisine: Baby Cakes in a Jar

Friday, June 15, 2012

Baby Cakes in a Jar


As I was thinking about planning the baby shower, I knew that I wanted to come up with something creative for the dessert.  I finally decided to make cupcakes in a baby food jars.  I was able to get some empty jars from a friend, so I scrubbed the label glue off the outside and they were perfect.

I will warn you that this idea became quite the adventure.  The ladies at the shower got quite a laugh when I told them about my cake fiasco!  I didn't think about compensating for the cake to expand and so I filled the little jars probably 3/4 of the way full.  When I peeked into the oven to check on them, the cake had expanded over the jar and most of them were sticking out about 2 inches above the jar.  They looked quite funny!  I was able to cut that portion off the cakes before I frosted them. 

My friend and her husband knew that they were expecting a baby girl, and they had already named her Esther Elizabeth.  I thought it was only fitting that the baby cakes be topped with an E!

Baby Cakes in a Jar

Makes approximately 24

You will need:
1 box of cake mix, prepared according to instructions on the box
1/4 cup butter, softened
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-4 drops of food coloring
1 cup white chocolate chips

1.  Fill clean baby food jars 2/3 of the way with cake batter.

2.  Place jars on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cake comes out clean. 

3.  While the cakes are baking, prepare frosting.  In a medium bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese.

4.  Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.  Set aside.

5.  Melt chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.  Spoon into an icing bag or a small ziploc bag.  If you're using the ziploc bag, snip the corner off so you can pipe the letters.

6.  Place a piece of waxed paper on a flat surface.  Pipe the chocolate into the desired shape or letter.  When you're done set them aside. 

7.  When the cakes are cooled, frost them as desired.

8.  Wait until shortly before serving to top the cakes with the chocolate shape or letter.

6 comments:

  1. Hi there, I'm one of your followers from the CCC and I would like to pass on the Kreativ Blogger Award to you! It's a chain-letter type thing, google it to find the rules, and I think your recipes are awesome! (http://myocg.blogspot.ie/2012/06/if-you-like-pina-coladas.html)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so creative. I love the baby food jars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet! Thank you for linking to Foodie Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I bet your friend loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is this? Love it! I love your blog and I'd love for you to link up at Thursday food Fest at http://www.theeaseoffreeze.com. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips