Melissa's Cuisine: Pizza Grilled Cheese

Monday, May 07, 2012

Pizza Grilled Cheese


When I think of grilled cheese, I tend to think of the processed slices of American cheese slapped between two slices of white bread, and slathered with butter that most of us at as kids.  I haven't always been a fan, so I was a little disappointed to see that this month's Crazy Cooking Challenge was to find the ultimate grilled cheese recipe.  I didn't think there was anything special about this sandwich. 

Photobucket

Boy, was I wrong!  As I began my search, it became clear that grilled cheese had evolved to something much better than I was imagining.  In fact, I found so many delicious recipes that I couldn't narrow it down to just one.  Mike and I ended up having a grilled cheese night one Sunday.  I made a variety of different sandwiches and we sampled each to find our favorites.  We enjoyed all of the sandwiches and had a difficult time choosing which one to feature today.  Ultimately, I decided to feature Mike's favorite grilled cheese today, but I'll be sharing the other sandwiches later this week, so be sure to check back.


Who doesn't like pizza?  It's one of Mike (and my) favorite foods, so it's really no surprise to me that he really enjoyed this grilled cheese.  I found this recipe on Kristen's blog, Forkful of Comfort.  Her blog is full of comfort food recipes, and I really enjoyed browsing through it.  She has many delicious recipes that I can't wait to make, but today we're focusing on her Pizza Grilled Cheese.

Pizza Grilled Cheese

Serves 1 (easily adapted to serve more)

2 slices of bread
margarine or butter
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
18 slices of pepperoni
Italian seasoning
pizza sauce (for dipping)

1.  Butter each piece of bread on one side. 

2.  Place one piece of bread, butter side down, on a hot griddle and top with cheese, pepperonis, and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning. 

3.  Place the other slice of bread, butter side up, on top of the filling.

4.  When the bottom slice of bread is browned, carefully flip the sandwich and cook until the other side is browned.

5.  Cut the sandwich in half before serving.

Serve with pizza sauce for dipping, if desired.

Source:  Forkful of Comfort

Don't forget that the Ultimate Grilled Cheese recipe is determined by the recipe that has the most "clicks".  Please click on my recipe to vote for me!

11 comments:

  1. We do special types of grilled cheese quite often. I like to use my panini maker - so good! Your pizza version sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Everyone loves pizza, and this seems a lot quicker!

    I'm sandwich #5 this month, come check it out!

    -Krystal @ recipesofacheapskate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids love pizza everything! They would totally love this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I featured the same recipe, our families must have the same taste! We loved it too, I think I'll make it a regular around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to satisfy a pizza craving, I know my kids will be making this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm....my kids would love this!! And me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious recipe! This looks pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sandwich looks yummy! I actually made this one for the CCC also. #83

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious one, looks so nice.., being vegetarian I could substitute with veggies.., looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great combination for a Grilled Cheese, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Extra sauce for dipping is a great idea! Normally I'd use ketchup but I like the idea of using the pizza sauce instead.

    Jen #40

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips