Melissa's Cuisine: Mike's Favorite Ice-cream Dessert

Friday, May 25, 2012

Mike's Favorite Ice-cream Dessert

When I ask Mike what he would like for dessert, 9 times out of 10, he'll want ice-cream.  Or something made with ice-cream.  A couple weeks ago I asked him what he thought I should bring for dessert for Sunday noon.  We always go to my parent's house after church. They provide the dinner and I make dessert.  Mike decided that I should make an ice-cream dessert that is popular at his family's gatherings.  I didn't have the recipe, and he wouldn't let me make it how I thought it was made (something about it having to taste just like how he remembers!)  It took a little bit of tracking down, but I was able to get the recipe from Mike's aunt and make Mike's wish come true.

I had a little bit of trouble with the chocolate topping in the original recipe, I must have done something wrong because the chocolate stayed a runny mess.  I modified it by making a ganache-type topping and it turned out much better.  Mike said he liked the chocolate layer on top too...score 1 for me! :)

Ice-cream Dessert

Makes 1 9x13 pan

You will need:
1 package Oreo cookies, crushed
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 gallon Vanilla or Cookies and Cream ice-cream, slightly softened (I let mine sit on the counter while I crushed the Oreos)
2/3 cup evaporated milk
3 squares semi-sweet baker's chocolate, chopped

1.  In a medium bowl, combine crushed Oreos and butter until moist.

2.  Press crust mixture firmly into the bottom of a metal 9x13 pan.  (This is going in the freezer, so use a freezer-safe pan).

3.  Scoop ice-cream over the crust and use a spatula to smooth it out.

4.  Pour evaporated milk into a small microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, until the milk just starts to bubble.

5.  Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl and pour the hot milk over it.  Stir gently until smooth.

6.  Pour ganache over the ice-cream.

7.  Cover dessert and place it in the freezer.  Freeze at least 2 hours before serving. 


2 comments:

  1. It's our favorite too! We like Mackinaw Island fudge ice cream in it, and I also like coffee ice cream. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips