Melissa's Cuisine: Baked Crispy Potatoes

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Baked Crispy Potatoes


My favorite thing about cooked potatoes is the crispy outside.  Growing up, my dad would often fry crispy potatoes in a cast-iron skillet.  I always tried to pick out the potatoes with the most crisp edges.  Then I would add a generous amount of salt to my potatoes before devouring them.  I don't add salt to a lot of my foods, but crispy potatoes need their salt!

This version of crispy potatoes is a little healthier than my dad's because it's baked, not fried.  The result is a perfectly crisp exterior and a fluffy interior.  The potatoes are coated with salt before they're baked, giving them a wonderful crunch. 

Baked Crispy Potatoes

Serves 2

You will need:
2 large potatoes (I used russet)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon sea salt

1.  Wash and dry potatoes.  Slice into 1/4" thick slices. 

2.  In a Ziploc bag, combine olive oil, sea salt, and potato slices.

3.  Seal the bag and carefully shake it until the potatoes are covered in a starchy paste, about 2 minutes.

4.  Place potatoes, in a single layer, on a baking sheet. 

5.  Bake at 450 for 20 minutes, until the bottoms of the potatoes turn golden brown.  Then flip the potatoes, return to oven, and bake another 10 minutes.

6.  Remove potatoes from oven and sprinkle with additional salt, if desired.

What are some of your favorite childhood foods?

9 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm fried potatoes are one of my favorite foods in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, these sound delish! I am over from Sharon's to check out these wonderful potatoes. I am gonna try these. If they are even half as good as those of my childhood I am hooked. I will have to use even less salt because of CHF but I WILL use some.
    My favorite food as a child is the same as today. Deep fried shrimp. Not the frozen, in a box, kind. The kind you peel, batter and deep fry.
    I haven't figured out a way to bake these for the same effect.
    Thanks for sharing, I am a new follower. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like something my family would really like. I just baked potatoes the other day using a similar method. Like you, I don't add much salt to my food, but I love the flavor of sea salt on potatoes! Thanks for sharing at Show & Tell.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! I might have to make them with dinner tonight! I would love for you to share on my weekly Linky Party Blog Stalking Thursday.

    http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/05/blog-stalking-thursday-43.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious and a wonderful alternative to fries. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photo reeled me in!! I'll have to make these, they sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so yummy! I love crispy potatoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! My kids and I are potato hounds and my husband is from outer space because he doesn't like potatoes. These look super yummy. Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe is being featured today at Cast Party Wednesday! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us!
    ---Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain---
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?p=30289

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips