Melissa's Cuisine: Almond Pound Cake

Monday, May 21, 2012

Almond Pound Cake


This month, I had the opportunity to browse through all the recipes on Cara's blog, The Boys Made Me Do It.  I enjoyed reading the stories about her boys and her adventures in the kitchen.  Cara's blog is full of recipes that I would love to make, and I had quite a challenge trying to pick the recipe to make.  I finally chose her recipe for Peggy's Pound Cake, and I'm so glad that I did.  I served this with fresh strawberries and a strawberry sauce for our Mother's Day celebration and it was a huge hit!
Secret Recipe Club

I have to admit, I could not stop eating this cake!  I was a little afraid of it baking over so I didn't completely fill the Bundt pan and I used some extra batter in a small pie dish.  The cake smelled so good when I took it out of the oven that I couldn't resist cutting in and trying a piece.  It was so good that I kept going back for more.  Over the next 21 hours, I managed to eat the entire (small) cake...oops!

Almond Pound Cake

Makes 1 Bundt cake 

2 sticks butter, softened
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1-1/4 cup milk
5 eggs
2 teaspoons almond extract

1.  In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and shortening.

2.  Add half of the flour and the baking power and mix well.

3.  Add in half of the milk and continue to mix.

4.  Add in one egg at a time, mixing until well incorporated after each addition.

5.  Add in remaining flour, milk, and the almond and mix well.

6.  Pour into a greased Bundt pan. (I sprinkle sugar on top of the butter I greased the tin with and it prevents the cake from sticking and gives it a great sugary crunch!)

7.  Bake at 325 for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Source: The Boys Made Me Do It

27 comments:

  1. So funny. I just made a pound cake last SRC reveal. I did almond flavoring too. In fact, it almost looks like your photo but I served it with ice cream. The recipe I picked had cream cheese in it, which I'd never done and it was OVER the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be good! I don't think I have ever made a pound cake, I will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous pound cake! Glad you liked it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet that almond extract adds a lot of flavor. And the strawberries are perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, great pick for the SRC! LOVE pound cake and it looks so delicious with the strawberry sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a recipe that is either the same or very close. I got it from Bob's Mom and she called it Dutch Cake. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pound cake, so perfect. I love that it's one of the cakes that's so good even unadorned. And almond flavor, I just need me a cuppa tea to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pound cake is so good and with strawberries...yum! Great SRC choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooo that looks absolutely delicious! Must try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMmmmmm....I'd love a big slice right now! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Almond and cake~I bet this is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love almond flavored anything - and in a bundt cake, you can't go wrong! Fun pick for SRC. Isn't reveal day fun?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet treat.You picked a great recipe for src.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melissa...that's a good sign if you keep nibbling the cake till it's gone! It really looks nice and moist! Perfect with summer berries! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so in love with the idea of almond in this cake. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely pick for SRC, the cake looks great and must've tasted divine, its no wonder you kept going back. Stopping by from Group B!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yayy I had Carlas blog last month, that is a tasty looking cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cara does have a fun blog. I love me a good bundt cake and if it has almond in it all the better. This looks delish! Great SRC pick.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds fantastic - I might have to try this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just LOVE pound cake. I feel like it's one of those things that's so underrated and just not made enough. Looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a perfect mothers' day treat! Love the addition of almond extract with the strawberry sauce. Bet it was delish. Great to be in group C with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks reeeaaally good; especially the strawberry sauce. So glad you shared this recipe at Show & Tell....I'm going to pin it to my recipe board.

    Sharon @ mrs. hines class

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love pound cake and this looks extra delicious with the strawberry sauce! I'm visiting you from Michelle's Tasty Creations and I'm now a follower. I would if you could follow me back. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  24. This pound cake looks delicious. I love the strawberry sauce on top, I'm sure it tastes delicious! I would love if you would share this and any other posts at Showcase Your Talent Thursday http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/05/showcase-your-talent-thursday-8.html. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmm, delicious! I haven't made a poundcake in a while, need to amend that!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Perfect combination. I love pound cake and almond. Can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips