Melissa's Cuisine: Spaghetti with Apple Tomato Sauce

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Spaghetti with Apple Tomato Sauce

When Tina announced that this month's Crazy Cooking Challenge theme was spaghetti, I have to admit, I was a little disappointed.  To me, there's really nothing special about spaghetti.  It's such a quick and easy dish, one that is usually made when there are only a few minutes to make dinner.  Boil noodles, open a jar of sauce, heat it up and you've got dinner. Right?  Wrong!
Photobucket
Apparently there is a lot more to spaghetti than I thought!  As I began my search for the ultimate spaghetti recipe, I realized how many recipes there are for something I thought was so very simple.  When I came across Joanne's recipe, I knew I wanted to try it.  Her recipe is so different from any spaghetti sauce I've seen before.  It's simple.  No overload of spices, no hours of simmering.  Quick, easy, and delicious.  But wait...apples?  In spaghetti sauce?  That was way new to me, and so of course, I had to try it!
I'm thrilled that I tried this recipe.  Like I said, it's totally different from any spaghetti sauce I've had before.  The apples bring a totally new element into the tomato sauce by adding a bit of sweetness.  I forgot to top the sauce with the cheese before taking a picture, but the cheese added a bit of salty goodness to the sauce.  The combination was fantastic!
Voting has changed since previous challenges, and the Ultimate recipe winner is now chosen by the number of clicks to that recipe.  If you'd like to vote for me, I'd really appreciate it!  Just click on my the thumbnail picture of my recipe below (#83)  Thanks!

Spaghetti with Apple Tomato Sauce

Serves 4

You will need:
1 28-oz can of plum tomatoes (I couldn't find plum so I just used whole canned tomatoes)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
3 tart apples (I used Jonathon), peeled, cored, and grated
1/2 pound spaghetti noodles, cooked
1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano

1.  Pour the canned tomatoes into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.  (I used my hand-held immersion blender, and it worked perfectly.)

2.  Pour the olive oil into a large skillet (or saucepan) and heat over medium heat.  Add the onions and saute until caramelized.

3.  Stir the tomatoes into the onions and season with the salt.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4.  Stir the grated apples into the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer again.  Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  The sauce should thicken slightly and the apples should be tender.

Serve sauce over spaghetti noodles and topped with parmigiano-reggiano.

Source:  Eats Well With Others

18 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic! :) I bet the tart also added a nice layer to the flavors too!

    Stopping by from CCC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples huh? You know, I'm thinking that would work. I added lemon juice to my sauce, so why not tart apples? Interesting addition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt a bit like you when I found out what the challenge was. Spaghetti is my least favourite pasta but luckily I found a recipe I really enjoyed and next time I can make it with my favourite pasta instead! I'm interested by the idea of adding apples to a tomato sauce too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apples sound great in spaghetti sauce! I've used carrots to sweeten a sauce before; never thought of apples! Will have to try that next time since I keep apples on hand more frequently than carrots. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the addition of Apples! I think this looks like a great sauce recipe! Thanks for leaving a comment on my page, Happy Crazy Cooking Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apples!? Wow...I never would have thought that would be good, but sounds like it was delicious!
    #29

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who'd have thought apples in spaghetti? Joanne has the most creative recipes on her site. You chose a great one for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a unique pasta dish! Looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a unique twist! I'm loving checking out all the spaghetti recipes! so fun. Happy CCC-ing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, never would have thought about apples in the sauce. Now I'm wondering what other fruits would pair well with the tomatoes. Stopping by from #76. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some really superb info , Sword lily I found this. carbonara recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is also one specific ingredient that is very difficult to get out side of Jamaica. If someone in the USA wishes to make this Jamaican fruitcake s/he would have to send to the island for this ingredient or get it only at the West Indian stores. recipe for jamaican fruit cake

    ReplyDelete
  13. صوص فرنسي You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this article. I think You put a great deal of exertion to make this article. I like your work. is naked juice healthy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! Satta king

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Satta king online

    ReplyDelete
  17. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. Satta result

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips