Melissa's Cuisine: Crock-Pot Lasagna

Monday, March 12, 2012

Crock-Pot Lasagna

Do you use your crock-pot often?  I sure do!  It's so handy to be able to make a meal and forget about it while I'm at work.  I enjoy coming home to a delicious smelling house and a ready meal. 

Mike recently requested lasagna, but it can be a time consuming meal to prepare.  I certainly don't have time to make it and bake it after work...unless we want to eat at 8 at night!  We don't, of course, because that's practically bed-time for us! 

One day I got to thinking about using the crock-pot for lasagna.  I didn't see any reason why it wouldn't work, so I thought I would give it a try.  I figured the worst that would happen is it would be over or under cooked and we'd have to order a pizza instead.  I know Mike certainly wouldn't complain about that!  I was thrilled to find out that you can indeed make a lasagna in the crock-pot.  As you can see, it's not quite as pretty as a lasagna in a baking dish can be, but it still tasted delicious.  The edges of my pasta that weren't covered in sauce got a little crispy, but I just cut that off before serving.  That can easily be rectified by adding more sauce.  All in all, this was an easy way to make lasagna without the wait!

Crock-pot Lasagna

Makes 6-8 servings
1 pound ground beef, browned and seasoned
1 jar pasta sauce (I used Newman's Own Tomato & Basil Bombilina)
1-1/2 cups water, divided
9 lasagna noodles (you may need more or less depending on the size of your crock-pot)
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1.  In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, pasta sauce, and 1 cup water.

2.  Spread 1/4 of the sauce mixture onto the bottom of the crock-pot.

3.  Top the sauce layer with 1/3 cup cottage cheese and 1/3 cup mozzarella.

4.  Place 3 lasagna noodles on top of the cheeses.  You may need to break the noodles to fit your crock-pot.

5.  Repeat sauce layer, cheese layer, and noodles 2 more times.

6.  Spread the top layer of noodles with remaining sauce mixture.

7.  Pour 1/2 cup water around the edges of the crock-pot.

8.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Mine was on for about 6 hours and then dropped down to the "warm" setting for another 2 hours before I got home from work.  The noodles were tender and the lasagna was heated through.

Source:  My original recipe
  


4 comments:

  1. I love this recipe and can't wait to try it out. Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE crock pot lasagna!! We have done it often, and we use ricotta cheese. We put the lasagna right in the crock with the sauce on the bottom. If you are interested, you can check out our recipe: http://practical-stewardship.com/2012/02/11/crock-pot-lasagna/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried crockpot lasagna, but I am sure it's amazing. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my "to try" list. I have never made pasta in a crock pot. Your lasagna looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips