Melissa's Cuisine: Corn Dogs

Monday, March 26, 2012

Corn Dogs


I love to make foods that are not only fun to make, but fun to eat as well.  Corn dogs definitely fall into that category for me.  They bring back memories of when I was little--corn dogs were one of my favorite treats!  These were fairly simple to make, it took a few tries to get the hang of dipping the dogs, as I didn't have skewers!  I used a fondue stick instead and it worked well for me, but I'd recommend using skewers if you have them.  Mike and I both liked these corn dogs, and I'll definitely be making them again.  I froze our leftover corn dogs, and Mike enjoyed eating them for lunch at work.
Corn Dogs

Makes 6

You will need:
2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
6 hot dogs
4 Tablespoons cornstarch
6 wooden skewers
oil, for frying

1.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.

2.  In a larger bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.

3.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.  Let it sit for 10  minutes.

4.  While the batter is resting, add oil to your cast iron skillet, dutch oven, or deep fryer.  Heat over medium-heat to 375 degrees.

5.  Poke a skewer through the end of each hot dog and roll in cornstarch.  This is really important in order to get the batter to stick to your hotdogs.

6.  Dip cornstarch-covered hot dogs into the batter.  (I transferred my batter to a tall cup in order to dip it easier.)

7.  Place in the hot oil and cook until golden brown, about 4-6 minutes.  If you're using a skillet, you might need to flip the corn dogs in order to cook them thoroughly.  Remove the corn dogs from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.

Leftover corn dogs can be frozen or stored in the fridge.
Source:  This Mommy Cooks

7 comments:

  1. Yum! What a great thing to pop into the freezer for when the kids want a snack! Thank you for linking up to This Week's Cravings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corn dogs are a treat! This looks like an easy recipe and I love that they're good for leftover lunches! Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! I've never made my own before and would love to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always hesitant to make a corn dog after I made one that turned out to be disastrous (batter slid off the hot dog). Would love to take a risk again with your recipe:) Thanks for sharing.

    Following your FB, Pinterest and twitter.

    Also inviting you to join our meatless recipe blog hop/showcase at http://olahmomma.com/momlounge. You are also very welcome to add your lovely blog here: http://olahmomma.com/momlounge/node/add/blog-list

    Hope to see ya there! Have a great day:)

    The Quiet Mom at http://olahmomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/03/seafood-crab-salad-show-your-stuff-17.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of freezing them for lunches later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happy to see your recipie. This article is really fantastic for foodie people. They tell us how to make this corn dogs. Keep sharing your content with us. Now it's time to avail shutters in birmingham for more information.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips