Melissa's Cuisine: Homemade Whole Wheat Noodles

Friday, January 06, 2012

Homemade Whole Wheat Noodles

It's the beginning of a new year and for many people that means it's time to make resolutions.  I'm not big on making resolutions, I can't imagine giving up sweets or something like that, so I don't typically make them.  I have decided that even though Mike and I do eat mostly healthy, there are things I can do to make our menus even healthier.  For example, I have been using whole wheat flour in place of all-purpose flour in some recipes.  There are plenty of health benefits to using whole wheat flour.  Whole wheat flour contains more fiber and protein than all-purpose flour, which translates into needing a smaller portion to keep you satisfied.   It's a simple switch to make and I'm looking forward to experimenting with making some of our favorite recipes healthier. 

Homemade Whole Wheat Noodles

Serves 4 (when made into long noodles, more in soup)

You will need:

2-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 beaten eggs
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil


1.  In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt together and make a small well in the middle.

2.  Beat your eggs in a small bowl and pour them into the well of the flour mixture.

3.  Add the water and olive oil and stir until the ingredients are combined.

4.  Dump the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it to get the ingredients combined well.  (My dough started out extremely dry, so I added a small amount of water to get it pliable.)

5.  If necessary, add more flour to your surface to ensure that your noodles won't stick.  Flour your rolling pin, and roll dough until it's 1/8" thick.


6.  Use a pizza cutter to cut your dough into long strips.  Here's where you decide what you're going to do with your noodles.  If you plan to use them for soup, you'll probably want to cut them into 2" pieces.  If you want to use them in a past dish like spaghetti, you can just keep them long.



7.  Allow your noodles to dry on the counter top before storing.  It will take a few hours, or a day, and you might need to turn the noodles over after a few hours to dry the other side.


8.  When the noodles are dry, store them in an airtight container.  You can keep them in your pantry for up to a month or in your freezer for about 3 months.

To cook your noodles for a pasta dish:  Bring 8 cups of water to a boil.  Salt generously.  Stir in the noodles and simmer for 20 minutes, until noodles are fat and tender.  Drain before serving.


To cook your noodles for soup: Bring 8 cups of broth to a boil.  Stir in noodles and simmer for 20 minutes, until noodles are fat and tender.


Source: Heavenly Homemakers

Be sure to come back tomorrow for a recipe to use your noodles in!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like the noodles mom used to make. Thanks for the healthier recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet these are yummy! I love making homemade noodles, and I especially love eating them! I'm visiting from At the Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips