Melissa's Cuisine: Healthier Banana Bread

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Healthier Banana Bread

I've always loved banana bread.  It's one of my favorite recipes that my mom makes and I love her recipe.  I haven't posted her recipe yet, but I will someday.  It's too good not to share!  Right now though, I'm focusing on eating healthier, and while banana bread isn't necessarily a health food, this recipe does contain some very healthy ingredients. 

Mike and I both eat a banana daily, so they're something we always have in the house.  On the rare occasion that the bananas start to turn brown before we can eat them, I peel them and stick them in my "banana bag" in the freezer.  It's perfect for making smoothies or recipes that call for bananas.  I used my freezer bananas in this recipe and I love how it turned out!

Healthier Banana Bread

Makes 1 loaf, approximately 12 servings

You will need:
1-1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1-1/2 cups mashed bananas (approximately 3 large bananas)
4 Tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1/4 cup lowfat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla

1.  Whisk flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a large bowl.

2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, butter, eggs, yogurt and vanilla.

3.  Gently fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture until just combined.  Pour batter into a greased 8-1/2" by 4-1/2" loaf pan.

4.  Bake at 325 for 55-60 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

5.  Cool for at least 1 hour before cutting into the bread.

Source:  America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook

9 comments:

  1. One of my favorites - and healthy is better yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm i love banana bread too. My faux pas is always freezing the bananas that start to get overripe and then leaving them in there too long. Of course I've been throwing them in there in their peels. Maybe in a bag without the peel they'll last a little longer and not get freezer burn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I freeze mine without the peel so that I don't have to try to peel a frozen banana--I find it frustrating! I've had mine last just fine up to 3 months but they're usually used way before then :)

      Delete
  3. I tried freezing bananas (without the peel) before but when I tried to thaw them, they turned into a really gross mush with a ton of fermented-smelling water.. how do you normally thaw them to keep them from doing this?

    And if you want something even healthier, try this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-wheat-banana-nut-bread/
    I make it all the time because it's super easy and really healthy (no sugar, no butter, and it's 100% whole wheat), and my family loves it! I make it as muffins too--a super easy grab-and-go healthy breakfast/snack for my family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had that issue with my bananas. I typically thaw them on the counter or toss them in the microwave for a couple seconds. I'll be checking out the recipe link--thanks!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips! I'll try that next time.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips