Melissa's Cuisine: Speculoos

Monday, November 21, 2011

Speculoos

It's the third Monday in November, and by now I'm sure you know what that means!  It's reveal day for the Secret Recipe Club!  This is my fifth month participating now and each month I have so much fun browsing through a new (to me) blog and making a list of delicious looking recipes to try. 

This month, my "short-list" of recipes ideas consisted of 10 fabulous looking recipes from Chris' blog, The Café Sucré Farine. Be sure to visit her blog to read the story behind her blog name, get a quote for your weekly inspiration, take in the beauty of her husband's food photography, and of course drool over her delicious recipes!

I grew up eating what we always referred to as "Windmill cookies", so when I saw Chris had a recipe on her site, I knew I'd have to make it. These were always one of my Mom's favorites and, being from a Dutch family, I remember many tea times that we enjoyed the "Windmill cookies". Mike also loves "Windmill cookies" and quite often packs them in his lunch.

I grew up with the Dutch version of these "Windmill cookies", actually called Speculaas. But when I saw on Chris' blog that they are Belgian and called Speculoos, I was intrigued at the difference. I decided to dig a little deeper and found that most recipes for both Speculaas and Speculoos are quite similar and in fact, they are the same cookie, just with a different name from each country! So whether you want to eat Speculaas or Speculoos, this is a cookie any one will enjoy!
Speculoos

Makes 2 dozen cookies

You will need:
2 cups all purpose flour

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups (packed) dark brown sugar (I used regular brown sugar since it's what I had on hand)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
sugar, for sprinkling

1.  In a medium bowl combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, baking powder, and salt.

2.  In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter with an electric mixer until light. Add egg and beat until fluffy.



3.  Gradually add in dry ingredients and beat until just combined.

4.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

5.  Divide the dough in half and roll it out on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick.

6.  Use a cookie cutter of your choice to cut as many shapes as possible and place cut cookies on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.

7.  Repeat with the other half of the dough, gathering scraps and cutting out as many cookies as possible.

8.  Lightly sprinkle cookies with sugar.

9.  Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes.

Enjoy the Dutch way--with a cup of hot tea, or my way--with hot chocolate!

23 comments:

  1. I've only had the store bought version of these. They look yummy, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from the Café Sucré Farine! Thanks for your kind words! Your cookies look delicious! Wish we could share one or two over a cup of tea! Love your blog and I will look forward to checking it out! Thanks Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on Windmill Cookies, too! LOVE this recipe and very excited to try it. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great SRC post. I have been seeing speculaas(oos) everywhere. I think I need to make a vegan version. I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great blog you got for SRC. You picked a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to eat these all the time when I lived in Europe. I loved to have mine with tea but I'm not opposed to hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the beautiful simplicity of those cookies. I bet that flavour combination is delightful! Can't wait to try them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome story! Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have never heard of Windmill cookies but the spices here make them sound like a great holiday cookie. Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is something about the name Speculoos that just makes me smile. It brings out the kid in me. All I need is a giant glass of milk. It was great to sneak around your blog this month and check out all of your posts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lived in Belgium for 7 months and The Netherlands for about 8. I love love speculaas. Did I mention loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These sound great! Thanks for linking up to Things that make you say mmmmm! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look delicious. I wondered about the different spelling, as I lived in the Netherlands for a year and ate my fair share of spekulaas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great SRC post and great Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits post. Yum! Glad you entered it. Hope you have an awesome Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cookies look yummy - great SRC post! On a side note, I love your Cocoa mug as well...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so intrigued by the name of these cookies, I had to check them out! I grew up calling them Windmill cookies, too. They look awesome. You got a great site to choose from and made a great choice. You have an equally lovely site and I really love your photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look fabulous! I love windmill cookies and I know I will love these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look fabulous! They are on my "to bake" list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those sound delicious. I love all the flavors inside. Yum! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmmm.. I can totally imagine myself sipping on a cup of hot chocolate with thees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This post is useful and helpful. Most people will definitely assert that everything in your blog site is nice. If you maintain publishing educational content on your online site,

    good bar food in singapore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips