Melissa's Cuisine: Chocolate Covered Seafoam

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chocolate Covered Seafoam

Last year for Christmas, Mike's mom handed me a Ziploc container.  Inside was possibly one of the best gifts I've ever received (well...food-wise that is!)  A bunch of my favorite "specialty store" candy--chocolate covered seafoam!  I love the sweet creamy chocolate coating followed by the crisp seafoam. 

Then I remembered that my mom used to make seafoam for a friend of hers.  I remember it being quite a tricky recipe and causing a few kitchen disasters.  (Maybe the reason she rarely made it!)  I finally remembered to ask her for the recipe and after my own kitchen disaster (burning my first batch), I succeeded in making a delicious treat!

Don't be afraid to try this--the trickiest part is not burning the candy, so I've shared my trick in the instructions.  The good part is that the recipe is all sugar, so if you do burn a batch, just fill your pan with water and it will dissolve!  Then try again...it's worth it!

Chocolate Covered Seafoam

You will need:
1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1.  Generously grease 3 cake pans and set aside.

2.  In a large saucepan, bring sugar and syrup to a boil over medium heat.  Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved.

3.  Bring sugar mixture up to 305 degrees, stirring occasionally.  (I've found that in order to not burn the candy, it's easiest to remove the pan from the heat when the sugar mixture reaches 300 degrees.  The candy temperature will continue to rise for a few seconds and leaving it on the heat brings the temperature up too quickly, resulting in burned candy.  Not fun...trust me!)

4.  Pour baking soda into syrup all at once.  Sugar mixture will foam up quickly--be careful!

5.  Mix thoroughly and quickly.  Pour into greased pans.

6.  Allow the candy to cool for a couple hours before breaking into pieces.

7.  Melt chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.

8.  Dip seafoam into chocolate and set on waxed paper to harden.  Store in an airtight container.

Recipe from my mom

8 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this before! I may give it a try. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Seafoam, but I must admit I'm scared to make it. On top of that - if it worked I would eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This sounds so good!
    I just started a new linnky and would love to have you join in as well.
    http://cookingwithkaryn.blogspot.com/2011/11/mmmmm-monday-1-on-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of seafoam before either but it looks absolutely delicious. I would love to open a tin and find this waiting for me. It looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!! I love sea foam and was just looking for a recipe this last week. I will be sure to try it! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Hopped over from Sweet as sugar cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of these before either! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Favorite thing from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. I think this us bad for me to have, but thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just made this and I think it did get a tad overcooked. Now I know what I'm doing though. Do you have any tips for breaking the seafoam up so that you have nice pieces...a lot of mine turned to dust as I whacked it into smaller pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips