Melissa's Cuisine: Baked Buttermilk Donuts

Monday, November 14, 2011

Baked Buttermilk Donuts

A few weeks ago I volunteered to pick up donuts and bring them to work for Mike and his co-workers.  I couldn't resist picking up a donut for myself while I was at the bakery.  That one donut struck a craving that I just couldn't kick! 

Luckily for me, I had just won a gift certificate to Michael's so one of the things I picked up was a donut pan.  As soon as I got home I pulled out the ingredients and got to work making some baked donuts.

Of course, you just can't compare baked donuts with a fried donut.  Sure, they're both delicous in their own way, but each really does have it's own flavor and texture.  And, if you're anything like me, you can justify eating a baked donut for both breakfast and a mid-morning snack because it's practically a muffin...right?

I made both "regular" sized donuts (the size from the Wilton pan) and "mini" donuts (from my Avon pan).  1 regular sized donut was equivalent to about 3 or 4 mini donuts (really, they are mini!), so of course I could justify eating 3 or 4 mini donuts at a time because it's basically like eating 1 regular one...right?

I know, my logic might be flawed...but indulge me! :)
Baked Buttermilk Donuts

Makes 24 "regular" sized donuts

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons margarine, melted

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1-2 Tablespoons water (adjust amount as needed to make a thick glaze)

1.  In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

2.  In a smaller bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and melted margarine.

3.  Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just combined.

4.  Fill donut pan 3/4 of the way full (or follow the instructions for your donut pan).  These donuts do rise, so don't fill the pan to the top.

5.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, until donuts spring back when touched.

6.  While donuts are baking, mix together ingredients for the glaze.  Allow the donuts to cool before dipping the the glaze and top with sprinkles if desired. 

Slightly adapted from Wilton

Mouthwatering MondaysThings that make you say: PermanetPosies.com Nap-Time Creations

7 comments:

  1. They turned out so cute! One sounds good right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look very good! buttermilk, i will try them!
    thanks
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! For sure! Thanks for linking up to Things That Make You Say Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know.....I have never made doughnuts from scratch. When my kids were little (and it didn't seem to matter that we ate fried food), we would punch holes in biscuits and fry them.....and dust them with sugar. That is as close as I got to it....ha. I think I would like to try them. Thanks for sharing it on Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits. I hope you will come back this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dounuts. I bought a pan and have yet to use it. Thanks for the great recipe and for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, this was a popular post this week so I will be featuring it on Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried baking and frying them too. It worked both ways with the same recipe. Personally, I still prefer frying them. It gives that fluffy yet crispiness and types of bagels flavors. Still sticking to this recipe until now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips