Melissa's Cuisine: Pizza Rolls

Monday, October 24, 2011

Pizza Rolls

Can you believe October is 3/4 of the way over?  It's like I blinked and the month just flew by!  It's the third Monday in October, and that means it's time for this month's Secret Recipe Club reveal. 

I love participating in the Secret Recipe Club.  It's fun to be introduced to a new blog that I might not have otherwise known about, and then search their blog for "that" recipe! 

This month, I was assigned to From Apples To Zucchini.  Pam has an abundance of delicious looking recipes and you can be sure you'll be seeing more recipes from her blog around here!  One thing I really loved about Pam's blog is that she focuses on recipes that are as nutritious as possible. I bookmarked several of her recipes to make before I narrowed it down to just one. 

It was difficult to choose one recipe to highlight today, but Pam's recipe for Pizza Rolls caught my attention. (Does that surprise anyone?!)  You see,  Mike loves pizza rolls.  I think he'd eat them every day if I'd let him!  However, store-bought pizza rolls are not very healthy and full of empty calories.  When I saw Pam's recipe makeover, I knew this was the perfect way to provide Mike with a healthier version of one of his favorite foods!

Mike and I both thought these were delicious.  I made ours with a blend of Italian cheeses and pepperoni.  This recipe made enough for both of us to enjoy for dinner, as well as 2 lunches for Mike to take to work!  I loved having a healthier alternative to pack for his lunch.

I should add that you're getting lucky today--not only is this a recipe for pizza rolls, but for the wonton wrappers as well!  I don't think I'll ever buy wonton wrappers from the store again!
 
Pizza Rolls (and Wonton Wrappers)

Makes 24 rolls

For the Wonton Wrappers:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 egg
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup water, plus a little more

Sift flour into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Whisk together egg, salt and 1/4 cup water. Pour into flour well. Mix together, adding additional water until the mixture will stay together in a ball. (Keep in mind that you do not want it to be sticky.)

Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and pliable.

Let rest for 30-60 min. (The longer it sits the easier it will be to roll out)

Divide dough in half. Keep one half covered while you roll out the other one on a surface lightly coated with cornstarch (if you use flour it may toughen it up). Roll out as thin as you possibly can. (Melissa's note:  I rolled my dough out to 21 inches by 7 inches.)

Cut into 3.5 inch squares (You should be able to get approx. 12 wonton wrappers out of each half).

For the Pizza Rolls:
1/2 cup prepared pizza sauce
48 slices of pepperoni
1/2 -3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheese
wonton wrappers (recipe above)

Place approximately a teaspoon of pizza sauce, 2 slices of pepperoni and a pinch of cheese in the center of each wrapper and fold over, sealing the edge by pressing them together with the tines of a fork.

Place in a single layer on a cookie sheet, and spray the tops with canola cooking spray

Bake at 400 for 12-17 minutes, or until browned.

Mouthwatering Mondays





16 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I think these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am so glad that you liked these! It's been a while since I made them - thanks for the reminder, too : )Thanks for all your kind words about my blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids would go crazy for these and I would be excited that it's healthier than the store bought alternative. Great SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loooove Pams site - and shes pretty awesome too. These little pizza rolls are a great choice for SRC and I may need to make them myself too. My father is addicted to the ones from the box (seriously, he eats like a 7 yr old boy). I have to mix it up for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm yummy pizza rolls!! So glad to be in Group C with you, this looks fantastic! Great SRC post!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pizza rolls are so fun and you made the won ton wrapper too! I use egg roll wrappers and deep fry mine...somehow not quite as nutritious! I really should change my evil ways...

    ReplyDelete
  7. my hubby is in LOVE with Pizza. I think he'd marry if he could. I'm always looking for new ways to serve "pizza" though haha, glad You choose this one! It's a great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to use wonton wrappers and I love that they're baked, we'll be making these soon.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Thin Mint Irish Coffee.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  9. I MUST try! My daughter loves pizza rolls and I silently dry heave every time I buy them because of all the fake food stuff inside. Thanks for the recipe! (I found via a link from The Yummy Life).

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last pizza roll recipe I made was missing something. And now I know what it was! Sauce! For mine, the sauce was purely for dipping. I'll be trying it this way the next time I make them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you imagine that speed at which these would be consumed during a football game? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK--Tony's pizza rolls used to be an obsession with us! These, I am sure, are much healthier! Great SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE pizza rolls - this is a great homemade version!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look perfect for an appetizer! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids love pizza rolls! I can't wait to give these a try! Thanks for the recipie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips