Melissa's Cuisine: Ma's Apple Crisp

Monday, October 17, 2011

Ma's Apple Crisp

Have you ever had it that a recipe is requested and when you make the requested recipe, it's not what the person requesting it really wanted?  Apple Crisp was that recipe for Mike and I! For me, an apple crisp has oatmeal in the topping, so I made him an apple crisp the way I knew how.  He didn't want to eat it because it had oatmeal--that's not apple crisp he said!  Now I was confused--what's apple crisp without the oatmeal?  It all comes down to different families having different names for foods...in my family, we'd call this an Apple Crumble.  But whatever you call it, Crisp or Crumble, it's good!

This is my mother-in-law's recipe.  It's one of my husband's favorites.  When we were picking apples, he requested that I make him "Ma's Apple Crisp" and an apple pie.  I haven't gotten to the apple pie yet, but the apple crisp was right on top of my list of things to make!  I hope you will enjoy it as much as Mike and I do!

Ma's Apple Crisp

Serves 12 (makes 1 9x13" pan)

You will need:
1- 3/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon tapioca
3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
10 medium apples (I only needed 4, since my apples were HUGE!)
1/2 cup margarine
2 cups Bisquick

1.  Preheat oven to 400 and grease a 9x13" pan.

2.  Peel apples and cut into thin slices.

3.  In the greased 9x13 pan, combine apple slices, 3/4 cup sugar (more or less depending on the sweetness of your apples), tapioca, and cinnamon.

4.  In a medium bowl, combine margarine, 1 cup sugar, and Bisquick.  It will be really crumbly--don't worry, it's supposed to be that way!

5.  Sprinkle Bisquick mixture over apple slices.

6.  Bake for 30 minutes, until topping is golden brown.

Mouthwatering MondaysPermanetPosies.com Nap-Time Creations

7 comments:

  1. I thought it was cobbler and crisp, if crisp is different than crumble, what's a cobbler?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @bethismyname--I've always known cobblers as fruit on the bottom and biscuits on top. I'm sure the definition varies for many families, this is just what I've grown up calling it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob would love this no matter what it's called. I'll have to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple crisp in one of my favorite things on earth. Can't wait to try it. I am a new follower from Tasty Tuesday Party. Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple Crisp or Apple Crumble, either way it looks yummy! That's my favorite way to eat a pie. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that looks delicious. My apple crumble has oats. I like Ma's version and I would like some now, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you--a crisp has oats in the topping. Glad you stopped by my blog. I love yours! Our anniversary is also October 9! (1998)And I'm a Michigander, as well. How nice to meet you!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips