Melissa's Cuisine: Churros

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Churros

When I was in high school, every fall our youth group would go on a mission trip to Chicago.  One of our traditions was to visit a Mexican store so we could enjoy foods we typically couldn't get up here. One of the foods I fell in love with is churros.  If you've never enjoyed a churro before, you're certainly missing out! 

A churro is basically a crispy fried donut, sprinkled with sugar.  Some people dip theirs in a thick hot chocolate, while others fill their churros with chocolate, caramel, or fruit fillings.  Me? I prefer to leave them plain and enjoy them in their fried deliciousness.

This is one of the recipes I made for our Fiesta party.  They were a huge hit!  In fact, I contributed the recipe to a recipe box for one of my friends who is getting married in May.  Give them a try--I know you'll love them too!

As a side note--I'm working on making my blog more user-friendly...in the next few weeks look for an easier to navigate label area, better recipe categories, and a whole new blog look!  If anything isn't working, or you have any suggestions, please let me know!


Churros

Makes 25

You will need:
1 cup water
2-1/2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 cup flour

Canola oil for frying

1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1.  In a small saucepan, combine water, sugar, salt, and 2 T. oil.  Bring to a boil and remove from heat.

2.  Stir in flour until the mixture forms a ball.

3.  Remove dough from pan and allow it to cool so you can comfortably handle it.

4.  Heat oil for frying in a deep fryer or deep skillet to 375 degrees.

5.  Roll dough into 2 inch strips about 1/2 inch thick.  Fry until golden brown, mine took about 4-5 minutes.*

6.  Set on paper towels to drain. 

7.  Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Roll drained churros in cinnamon sugar mixture.

*I worked in batches for steps 5-7.  While a batch of churros was frying, I would roll the previously fried batch in the cinnamon sugar mixture.  I find that it sticks better when the churros are still warm.


4 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I remember getting these. They were always so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing churros! Thanks! Talk to https://topessaybrands.com/review/scribendi/, and we will make a research paper that stands out and gets more attention from your tutor. Your academic success is our primary priority. The biggest challenges students face these days are submitting papers on time and being able to keep up with their classmates. You'll get a price estimate right away, so you'll know how much you'll have to budget before you even have to commit to the job.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips