Melissa's Cuisine: Baked Chicken Egg Rolls

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Baked Chicken Egg Rolls

I love Chinese food, especially egg rolls.  However, I don't like the greasy feel of fried egg rolls--at least, not too often!  I decided that I wanted to come up with a recipe that both Mike and I would enjoy.  Mike doesn't care for traditional cabbage-stuffed egg rolls and I was looking for something healthier.  While I wouldn't classify this recipe as a "health food" (or Chinese food), these baked egg rolls certainly are a healthier alternative to traditional egg rolls.

You will need:
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 onion, minced
1 cup cooked corn
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
egg roll wrappers

1.  In a bowl, combine shredded chicken, garlic powder, onion, corn, and cheese.

2.  Place an egg roll wrapper on the counter with a corner facing you.  Scoop about 2 Tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the wrapper near the bottom corner facing you.  (You may choose to add more or less filling.)

3.  Lift the bottom corner of the wrapper up and begin rolling until the wrapper is halfway up.

4.  Fold the left side over the center of the wrapper, and then the right.  It will kind of look like an envelope at this point.

5.  Now continue rolling the wrapper up.  Dip your fingers into water and brush on the top corner to seal the wrapper.

6.  Place finished egg roll on a greased cookie sheet and continue to fill and roll egg rolls until all the filling is gone.

7.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, until the wrappers are browned.  We served our egg rolls with salsa for dipping.

*If your egg roll wrapper package has rolling directions, feel free to follow those instead.  Or, I found a good visual here.
Party Button It's a Keeper

5 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummy! I have a freezer meal party every 6 weeks with some friends... I wonder how this would freeze??

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound really good! I was thinking like Amanda - I think they would freeze well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so good! I agree with you, traditional egg rolls are way too greasy. Your version sounds way more like something I feel okay eating for dinner!
    -Ami

    ReplyDelete
  4. I froze our leftovers and they are just fine! You can microwave them if you want them quick, but they're better in the oven because it gives them a chance to crisp up again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome! I will have to try this soon, I love your mexican twist on an egg roll!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips