Melissa's Cuisine: Shredded Pork Quesadillas

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Shredded Pork Quesadillas

What do you do with leftover pork ribs?  Improvise, of course!  Then discover you have approximately 1 Tablespoon of barbeque sauce left in the bottle, and improvise again!  Our whole meal was an improvisation (is that even a word?  It's is now...I like it!)

I grilled a bunch of pork ribs one night and we ate 2, leaving me with lots of leftovers.  A few nights later I planned to have pork ribs again, but I just didn't know what to do with them.  Sometime during the day, I decided I wanted to make shredded pork.  And of course I got home and discovered my lack of sauce, so I quick whipped up a batch.  Then I was faced with the dilemma of what to do with the shredded pork.  I was just going to do tacos, but then I saw my quesadilla maker and the wheels started turning!

Sometimes the meals made on the fly are the best, Mike loved this meal--he even mentioned it to my dad "when you see the "taco-things" on Melissa's blog, you've got to make them!"  What a compliment!  We'll definitely be making these again.


You will need:
Homemade Barbeque Sauce (recipe below)
3 cooked pork ribs, shredded
4 flour tortillas
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

1.  Add shredded pork to barbeque sauce.  Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, until meat is heated through.

2.  Place a tortilla on the bottom of your quesadilla maker.  Top with barbeque pork and cheese.  Cover with another tortilla.

3.  Cook until the tortilla is brown (my quesadilla maker has a light that tells me when it's ready). 

4.  Remove from quesadilla maker and repeat steps 2 and 3 with the remaining tortillas.

The sauce recipe made about 1.5 cups of sauce, which was perfect for the amount of meat we had.  The shredded pork was enough for 2 quesadillas, plus we had a small amount left over.

You could also make this recipe without a quesadilla maker, just use a small frying pan and flip the tortilla to brown both sides.

Homemade Barbeque Sauce:
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

In a saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil and let it simmer until the sauce thickens.

*This makes a sweet barbeque sauce, we loved it. You can reduce the amount of brown sugar if you think it might be too sweet for you!
Secret Recipe Club

3 comments:

  1. If Mike liked it, I bet Bob would too. I think I need a quesidilla maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet that your husband told him to make them :) Your recipe sounds great.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Numerous Chicago based companies have adapted their business models in order to become greener. One of these methods is practicing environmentally friendly paper shredding.source

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips