Melissa's Cuisine: French Monkey Bread

Monday, May 02, 2011

French Monkey Bread

French Monkey Bread
Growing up, we ate a lot of Monkey Bread.  But we always stuck with the same basic (and delicious) recipe: buttermilk biscuits rolled in cinnamon and sugar and topped with a sugary butter sauce.  I think we made it every time we had weekend guests and probably once a month for Sunday morning breakfast.  By the end of the day on Sunday, the whole pan would be completely empty as each time we walked by the kitchen, we'd sneak another gooey ball of deliciousness!

I decided to try something new with Monkey Bread.  I thought maybe I'd turn it into an overnight French toast type of dish.  While it didn't turn out quite the way I imgained, I am still pleased with the results.
You will need:

2 cans of buttermilk biscuits (10 rolls per can)
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup margarine (1/2 stick), melted
2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar

1.  Divide each biscuit into 4 pieces.  I find that it's easiest just to tear them apart with my fingers.

2.  Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.  

3.  Roll each biscuit in sugar mixture until it's completely covered.  Place in greased pan.  (I used a bread pan but you can use a bundt pan if you'd prefer).

4.  Combine remaining sugar mixture with melted margarine.  Pour over biscuits, covering each one.

5.  In a small bowl, beat egg.  Stir in brown sugar until sugar dissolves.

6.  Pour over biscuits.

7.  Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.

8.  The next morning, remove pan from fridge and gently stir biscuits and egg mixture to coat thoroughly if any egg mixture settled on the bottom.  (I didn't think to do this the first time I made this and I ended up with a layer of egg on the bottom of the Monkey Bread.)

9.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. 

8 comments:

  1. That sounds awesome! We also love our monkey bread in this house. Every time my in-laws come into town we always have it for breakfast. It's also a beach vacation staple. :) I'll have to try your new twist on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of buttermilk biscuits so this sounds very interesting but looks goooood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would make one delectable breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guess what?...YOU MADE MY TOP 3 this week.!
    Go check it out :)

    Lark's Country Heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. This looks delicious. I want this right now with my coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my..I wanna be a monkey and eat this..looks really yummy.I hope to make one like this.Thanks for sharing.I am your newest follower.Hope you can drop by and check out my blog www.cookiedropletsetcbymarelie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My kids used to love this awesome bread when they were kids. I haven't made it in years and had forgotten how. Your recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips