Melissa's Cuisine: Dulce de Leche Pie

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dulce de Leche Pie

For Mother's Day, Mike and I invited both of our families over to our house for lunch.  We had a great time, with good conversation, laughter, and lots of food!  It's a good thing none of us were watching our calorie intake because it was not the healthiest meal.  The dessert was basically pure sugar, but it was oh, so good! It's incredibly rich, so a small piece goes a long way.


You will need:
25 Oreo cookies (about 1/2 a package)
1 stick margarine, melted
3 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 (8oz) tub Cool Whip
Chocolate shavings

1.  Make Dulce de Leche:  Remove the wrappers from the cans of sweetened condensed milk.  Place in a medium saucepan and cover in water.  Boil for 3 hours, checking every 30 minutes to ensure that cans are covered in water.  (There is a risk of cans exploding if they are not completely immersed.)  After 3 hours, take the pan off the stove and allow the water to cool.  Then remove the cans from the water and set aside.

Note:  I do this step the night before and then just let the cans sit on the counter until I'm ready to use them. You can do it right before you make the pie though too!

2.  Crush Oreos.

3.  Melt margarine and stir in Oreos.  Press into a 9x13 pan.

4.  Pour Dulce de Leche over Oreo crust.

5.  Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

6.  Spread Cool Whip over Dulce de Leche.  Top with chocolate shavings.

7.  Refrigerate until you're ready to serve.

 
“I’m partying at the Pi Day Pie Party at Crazy for Crust today. Come party with us!”

12 comments:

  1. So glad you linked up again...You always have something to tempt my diet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made caramel that way before. I love the way you used it - looks so good~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know it was so simple, that looks amazing too.

    Thanks for linking up to Make & Share at HOMEmomMADE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had no idea one could do that to condensed milk. Amazed and wanting to try it out right away!! Thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of cooking the milk in the cans. I have always simmered and stirred over the stovetop. LOVE that I don't have to do that anymore, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my how delicious come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love making caramel this way! yummmm dulce de leche! thanks for sharing! i adore this :)
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks and sounds luscious! I've read about the process of making dulce de leche before but have never tried it. But, after seeing the results, I have to try it.

    I would like to invite you to share your recipe at A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/05/sweet-indulgences-sunday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious! Thanks so much for sharing it on Sweet Tooth Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my - this looks so rich and delicious! What a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips