Melissa's Cuisine: Cinnamon Chip Scones

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Cinnamon Chip Scones

When I think of scones, I think of my Grandma.  She is diabetic, so when my mom would bake sweeter treats to bring to my Grandpa, she'd make raisin scones for my Grandma.  My Grandma loves scones so she was always delighted to receive a fresh batch.  

My co-worker's mom is going through a rough time right now, so she and her sister decided to surprise their mom with a tea party.  They arranged for about 10 of her mom's friends to come and surprise their mom.  When I heard what she was doing, I offered to bring a batch of scones.  

I had recently seen this recipe for Cinnamon Chip Scones and they claimed to be as good (or better) than Panera Bread's  I've never had a scone at Panera (I'm more of an Asiago Bagel type person) but I thought if they were Panera quality, they must be good!  And they were!  I think they were the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea!

You will need:
1 1/2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup milk
1 cup cinnamon chips

For the Topping:
1 tablespoon milk
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon (scant) cinnamon

1.  Make topping by mixing together brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Set aside. 

2.  In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.


3.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. 



4.  Add milk, stirring until dough is just moistened.

5.  Fold in cinnamon chips.

6.  Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead mixture about 6-10 times to incorporate dry crumbs into mixture.  I had to add more flour to keep it from sticking to the counter. 

7.  Pat dough out into a rectangle, about 1 inch thick, and 12 inches long by 8 inches wide. 

8.  Cut dough in half length-wise.  Then cut those halves into 4 equal squares.  Cut each square in half diagonally to make triangles.  

9.  Places triangles on parchment lined baking sheet about 1 inch apart.

10.  Brush top of scones with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.

11.  Bake at 425 degrees 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
 


Adapted from:  Meemo's Kitchen

10 comments:

  1. A new scone recipe! I know someone who loves to make scones, and these sound like good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look SO good! I love the cinnamon chip in it, can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay cinnamon chip scones and then cinnamon sticks below that! You are speaking directly to my heart Melissa. Do you even realize how much i love my cinnamon rolls and anything cinnamon. My son got it from me because he will eat whatever I cook if i sprinkle a little Cinnamon on it! LOL! These look AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
  4. overhere ( Belgium ) we don't knwo scones. I saw and heard that word a lot, but I never ate them. Maybe onde day I try your recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you get cinnamon chips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my cinnamon chips at Meijer. I know they aren't available at all grocery stores, but I hope you can find them! If not, you can substitute white or chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so amazing Melissa! I've only made scones once and need to try them again, this recipe will be perfect for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum Yum. I don't think I've ever had a scone.

    Thanks for linking up to Make & Share. Good News! I found a thumbnail linky and updated it with your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been dying to make cinnamon scones! I must add cinnamon chips to my grocery list.

    Thanks so much for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips