Melissa's Cuisine: PW's Mac & Cheese

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

PW's Mac & Cheese


Have you heard of Pioneer Woman?  If you haven't, you sure are missing out.  Go check her out right now! Here:  The Pioneer Woman.  If you're anything like me, you'll get lost in her website: exploring all her fantastic recipes and hilarious stories of life on the ranch.  One of my favorite things about Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) is that she takes pictures of each step of the recipe, making it basically fool-proof!

After being obsessed with PW's website for a long time, I was ecstatic when she released a cookbook in 2009.  I received it as a wedding shower gift and I've enjoyed reading though it (yes, I do read cookbooks like novels ;)!), and making many of her recipes!

When I heard that It's a Keeper was hosting a cookbook review of Pioneer Woman's cookbook, I was all in!  Check out the link-up at her site for all the other recipe reviews!

Mike and I love Macaroni and Cheese.  I knew that PW's would live up to the standards I've set for her ;)  It definitely did, and I've made this a few times.  I would recommend using a sharp Cheddar cheese for this recipe; the last time I made it, I used a mix of Cheddar and Colby and we thought it wasn't cheesy enough!



You will need:
4 cups Dried Macaroni
1 whole Egg Beaten
¼ cups (1/2 Stick Or 4 Tablespoons) Butter
¼ cups All-purpose Flour
2-½ cups Whole Milk
2 teaspoons (heaping) Dry Mustard, More If Desired
1 pound Cheddar or other desired Cheese, Grated
½ teaspoons Salt, More To Taste
½ teaspoons Seasoned Salt, More To Taste
½ teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
Optional Spices: Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Thyme
1.  Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.
2.  In a small bowl, beat egg.
3.  In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.
4.  Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.
5.  Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.
6.  Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.
7.  Add in cheese and stir to melt.
8.  Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! 
9.  Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.


10.  Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.


*For the sake of the cookbook review, this recipe is from PW's cookbook (website).  I did not write it out and all the instructions are courtesy of the Pioneer Woman.


Source: The Pioneer Woman

9 comments:

  1. I love this recipe! One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this a month or two ago... it was delicious! :) I like baking it and putting bread crumbs on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love PW recipes - we had one for supper tonight. I never tried this one though. I will now.
    PS - glad you are enjoying that cookbook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing like a good mac & cheese! I can't wait to try this!

    Thanks for sharing it on It's a Keeper's cookbook review!

    Christina @ It's a Keeper
    www.everydaytastes.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good!! You are right - you will be featured on Friday but I accidentally posted the linky party when I was trying to edit..oops! It will be back up Friday...by the way - you need to add an email address to your profile!! You are quite the dickens to try to get a hold of!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First let me say I am so glad you linked up to "Made it on Monday"! :)
    I hope we will be your newest "habit"!

    Now on to the recipe...I LOVE P.W. Her Cook Book is well used at our home. Great Pick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks yummy, and I am not a fan of mac & cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We LOVE trying different REAL macaroni recipes... Kraft is really only good for an old family "Blue Plate Special" dish... You have my mouth watering and making a trip to the store for an extra sharp brick cheddar, RIGHT NOW.
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips