Melissa's Cuisine: Pretzels

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Pretzels

Did you know today is National Pretzel Day?  I didn't even know that existed until yesterday, and upon finding out, I decided I would post this recipe for pretzels instead of the one I planned to post today.  (Don't worry, I'll still post it but not until Thursday).  And now, I give you...Pretzels! :)
I love homemade pretzels!  This recipe is similar to the one I posted about a month ago, but Mike and I thought it was actually better.  The previous recipe I posted had sugar in it, giving it a sweeter taste while this one has more of a classic bread taste.  I can't exactly say why I prefer this recipe, I just do.  Go ahead and try them both and let me know which you prefer!

I made the same items with this recipe as the previous one and I've linked to the instructions at the end of this post.
You will need:

1 1/2 cups warm water (about 100 degrees)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 package dry rapid rise yeast
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Pretzel salt (or kosher salt), for topping
1.  Combine the warm water and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes, until the yeast gets foamy.
2.  Add the flour, salt, and butter to the yeast mixture. Using the dough hook on your mixer, combine the mixture until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl and appears shiny, roughly 4 to 5 minutes.
3.  Cover dough and let it rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
4.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with non-stick spray. Set aside.

5.  In a large pot, bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a roiling boil.
6.  Shape dough into your desired form.  See links below for instructions for pretzel dogs, mozzarella pretzel bites, and pretzels.
7. Boil the shaped pretzels in the baking soda water for 30 seconds each. Using a slotted spatula, remove each pretzel on the parchment lined baking sheet.  Sprinkle with any desired toppings.

8. Bake at 450 until golden brown, roughly 14 to 15 minutes. 


To make these pretzel bites, simply roll pretzel dough into a long rope and cut into bite sized pieces.
Adapted from Kitchen Belleicious

Lark's Country Heart

7 comments:

  1. These look great. I'm so nervous working with yeast, so when I get the courage I will definitely give these a try. :) I also love dipping pretzels in cheese sauce--yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound wonderful! I will for sure try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that I didn't eat dinner and looking at these made my stomach growl. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a pretzel day! Good to know!

    Come by my blog when you have a chance--you've been given the Versatile Blogger Award! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look amazing! Can't wait to try it! I'm your newest follower! Found your blog by Walking by Faith, as I was a fellow versatile blog winner as well! Check out my blog here
    http://www.kenyoncooking.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa,
    So glad you are becoming a regular here on Made it on Monday!

    I can't wait to find time to make these pretzels. I am all over dunking those little gems in some Cinn/Sugar. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I have a linky party every week called A Baker's Sunday where the theme changes every week, and this week is lemons! I'd love for you to join! If you have any lemon recipes, new or old, please link up!
    http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/04/themed-bakers-sunday-2.html
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips