Melissa's Cuisine: Cotton Candy Ice-Cream

Friday, April 08, 2011

Cotton Candy Ice-Cream


Pure sugar.  Fluffy sticky pure sugar.  Can it get much better?  How about cotton candy in this form:
Cotton candy ice-cream!  Oh yes, I did  just go there!  We had a carnival at SEM and Mike and I each got a bag of cotton candy.  I wanted a fun and creative way to use it (I did eat my fair share though!)  Then it hit me, cotton candy ice-cream!  It's good.  Really good.  But I'll warn you, it's super sweet! Mike and I both agreed that just a couple spoonfuls is enough, more than that and you'll end up with a stomach ache or a sugar high...probably both.  Don't say I didn't warn you :)

You will need:
3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 bags cotton candy (about 4 ounces)
3 egg yolks

1. In a medium saucepan, warm milk, sugar, salt, 1/2 cup of cream and vanilla.

2. Stir in cotton candy, one chunk at a time until it completely dissolves.  My cotton candy dissolved the second it hit the milk.

3. Remove milk mixture from heat, cover, and let it steep for 30 minutes.

4. Re-warm the milk mixture.

5. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Add 1/8 cup of the warmed milk mixture to the eggs and whisk until combined.

6. Pour yolk mixture into milk mixture.

7. Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture thickens.

8. Stir remaining 1 cup of cream into custard to cool.

9. Chill thoroughly in fridge. (At least 3-5 hours, overnight is even better)

10. Churn ice-cream in your ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Mine took about 30 minutes.


11.  Store ice-cream in a freezer safe container.  I did find that this ice-cream is a lot softer than other ice-creams I've made, and it melts a lot faster! 









17 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm not a big ice cream fan, but I have bought this flavor when it was available at DQ and I loved it. I'm sure this is just as good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. my. gosh! i cannot tell you how much i LOVE cotton candy!!! i have to make this now!! thanks so much for sharing! p.s. im you newest follower you should come and check out my blog sometime! madisonavenue2011.blogspot.com...feel free to follow me back :) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Sweet Saturday!

    We must be on the same wavelength! I woke up this morning thinking of making a dessert with cotton candy! Then I saw yours! I am printing this luscious looking ice cream off. It looks so creamy and good and I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Sweet Saturday!

    We must be on the same wavelength! I woke up this morning thinking of making a dessert with cotton candy! Then I saw yours! I am printing this luscious looking ice cream off. It looks so creamy and good and I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to try this! My boys love cotton candy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man! how perfect is this ice cream?! it looks so cold & sweet & tasty & delicious & perfect for a warm spring day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL this is not what I expected to find before clicking this recipe! I'll definitely have to try this though! It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a creative idea! Love it!

    I just Stumbled this yummy recipe. Thanks for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hiya! I am so excited to get to know if you have a lot of subscribers to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cotton is a significant money crop. It is known as 'white gold'. Cotton and other monocultured crops require a concentrated utilization of pesticides as different sorts of vermin assault these harvests causing broad harm.mens silk pajamas

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are a lot of things to consider before actually buying one.ice tube machine

    ReplyDelete
  12. They appear to comprehend that utilization of Bt cotton seeds will kill the total utilization of pesticides and creation will increment extensively. silk pajamas for men

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was not content with the plan quality and shoe material in that. Negative web-based shoe encounters are normal. I have tracked down that the most ideal way to purchase the ideal shoes online is to do some due steadiness. mens silk pajamas

    ReplyDelete
  14. It doesn't change the first properties of transporter plant. silk pajamas for men

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bt quality is otherwise called organic pesticide. At the end of the day, silk pajamas for men

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a long ways as the nature of Bt Cotton is concerned, it looks like with a decent assortment of non-Bt cotton.mens silk pajamas

    ReplyDelete
  17. All out planting of nation remains at 2.494 million hectares, seeing a downfall of 8.8pc throughout the most recent five years.silk pajamas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips