Melissa's Cuisine: Southwest Chicken Salad

Thursday, March 03, 2011

Southwest Chicken Salad

Southwest Chicken Salad


I love McDonald's Southwest Chicken Salad.  One of my co-workers offered to grab lunch for me the other day, she was headed to McD's and I knew what I wanted!  Plus it's only 420 calories, including the dressing!  One night I asked Mike if he would mind a huge salad for dinner, he was okay with it, and I was thrilled to be able to create my own version of my favorite salad.  Neither of us care for beans, so we omitted those, but otherwise I think this is almost exactly like McD's...I know I loved it!

(You'll notice that I didn't put amounts for the salad ingredients, you can use what you need for your family)

You will need:
Salad:
Chicken tenders (I used 1.5 per person)
Honey
Dijon Mustard
Lettuce (I used bagged, but you can use a fresh head too!)
Carrots
Corn
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Crushed Doritos

Dressing: (This makes about 1 cup of dressing, enough for at least 4 bowls of salad)
1/2 cup fat free ranch dressing
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

1.  Cook chicken tenders in a frying pan.  About halfway through cooking, spread a mixture of honey and mustard on each side.  Remove from heat.  Dice when cooled.

2.  In the same pan, cook corn until it is somewhat blackened.

3.  Prepare carrots by cutting them into "curls" with a vegetable peeler.

4.  Layer lettuce, carrots, corn, chicken and cheese.  Top with crushed Doritos.

5.  Pour dressing over salad.

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, this sounds scrumptious! <3 Southwest/Mexican dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! You make the best stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that salad! I've had it so many times that it would be nice to make a new, fresh update!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds really good! Thanks for linking up to the salad round up at Seaside Simplicity :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fashion is the thing that you make it - The primary thing you need to comprehend about fashion is that it is just what you make it, that's it. Jennifer's Body Heart Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  6. This content is always an interesting topic for me and difficult to find out information about it. Thanks for sharing with us Ranboo Varsity Jacket

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips