Melissa's Cuisine: Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls


I know I've mentioned it before, but it's worth mentioning again:  I love cinnamon rolls!  When I saw this recipe on one of my favorite blogs, I knew I just had to make it!  I decided it would be the perfect addition to the snacks I was making for my party last week.  It was, and it also inspired my Funfetti Bark (recipe coming soon!)

I made these a lot smaller than a normal cinnamon roll because I intended them as a snack, not a meal.  They were the perfect size, about 3 bites, and a huge hit!  The cake batter dissolved into the cinnamon roll dough, infusing the rolls with the delicious flavor of cake.  I used Pioneer Woman's cinnamon roll recipe (my go-to for cinnamon rolls) as a base for these snacks and the addition of cake batter made these fabulous!

Funfetti Cinnamon Rolls
You will need:

For the cinnamon rolls:
2 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 packet yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
4-1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup yellow cake mix
1/2 stick margarine
cinnamon
sugar
sprinkles

For the icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup yellow cake mix
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons milk

1.  Mix the milk, oil, and sugar in a large pot.  Scald milk mixture and then let it cool to room temperature.

2.  Sprinkle yeast over milk mixture and let it sit for a couple minutes.

3.  Stir in 4 cups of flour to form a sticky dough.  Cover pan and let the dough rise for 1 hour.

4.  After dough has risen, stir in remaining 1/2 cup of flour, baking powder, and baking soda until well combined.

5.  Divide dough in half.  On a flour covered workplace (I use my counter), roll the dough out until it's about 1/8" thick and in a rectangular shape.  Because I made mine into mini cinnamon rolls, I rolled my dough about 30 inches long and 6 inches wide.  If you want larger cinnamon rolls, make a smaller rectangle, probably 18 inches long and 12 inches wide.

6.  Melt margarine in a glass measuring cup (or a small bowl).  Pour half of the melted margarine over the dough.  Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon (the amount is up to you, I used less cinnamon so the cake flavor would really shine through).  Then sprinkle with 1/2 cup yellow cake mix and sprinkles.

7.  Roll dough in a line toward you.  Cut into 3/4 inch slices.  (I use dental floss to cut my cinnamon rolls, but a sharp knife works well too.)  Place in a greased pan.

8.  Repeat this process with the other half of the dough.

9.  Let the cinnamon rolls rise for 30 minutes.  Then bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.

10.  While rolls are in the oven, mix together ingredients for icing.  When the rolls are cool, pour over rolls and top with sprinkles.


It's a Keeper






Party Button






















Sweet Rolls that Rock



Source:  How Sweet It Is

17 comments:

  1. Those look/sound amazing! I bet funfetti bark is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa. I think that is a fabulous idea also. I read How sweet it is regularly as well... in fact, I remember contacting Jessica at How Sweet it is about making a cake batter sweet roll as a guest post at Sweet Rolls that Rock... but alas, it wasn't to be. :(
    And then when I saw her post them on her site - I was a little down - but to see that you baked them as well is pretty cool. If you wouldn't mind linking them to my monthly sweet rolls bloggy party - that would be great. Remember - every 1st of the month you can link up your sweet roll dessert. So, you gotta check back tomorrow in other words. http://sweet-rolls-that-rock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the addition of cake mix to the batter. Brilliant!

    I'd love to have you stop by and share this recipe on Sweet Tooth Friday. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/31/toffee-snickerdoodle-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa,

    Despite how hectic our daily lives may seem to be, there is always time for a warm tasty treat! I have always loved cinnamon rolls as well. I don’t know which idea I love more, baking them or inhaling them!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog. It was very organized and visual. I am always browsing online for new and unique recipes to try out. Your blog had a lot of unique ideas. When reading your blog post, my mouth began to water while browsing the pictures and the ingredients of your tasty recipe. Unlike your everyday traditional cinnamon rolls, the Funfetti Cinnamon rolls look a lot more fun as well as inviting. The funfetti that is included in the image made me think of spring, more specifically Easter. I am hosting Easter at my house this year and I could definitely predict these cinnamon rolls to be a huge hit at my party. I think I will do a quick run through this weekend to make sure I have the sequencing down pat, this weekend. I am sure my husband wouldn’t mind testing them! :)
    I really like the idea of using yellow cake mix within the cinnamon rolls. Do you think that if you or I substituted yellow cake mix for chocolate cake mix, it would still taste good and even provide for a ‘touch of chocolate’?

    ReplyDelete
  5. JKurisko,
    I think chocolate cake mix would be a fantastic substitute!!! I'll have to try it sometime. Please let me know if you do and how your guests like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing!! Thanks for linking up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cinnamon rolls are delicious anytime...and these as bite size are just adorable and certaining would be a great addition to any Fun party with the Funfetti topping..Funtastic! yvette@twistedvines...linking from STF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those definitely look fun with those sprinkles. I hope you'll come by and share them with Sweets for a Saturday #11. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are adorable! They look delicious although I have never made dough from scratch, which worries me a bit. But cake-batter is one of my favorite flavors so I'm sure this would be right up my ally. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa,

    Wow your ideas are amazing. I love to bake especially cake. I have started to decorate character cakes for my little cousins’ birthday parties and the more I bake these cakes the more I see how much I love to bake. Cinnamon rolls are the best. They are great at all times of the day as well as on the weekends. Your recipe looks wonderful and I can’t wait to try it out. We have an Easter brunch coming up and I plan on trying these out. I enjoy entertaining but always feel like I am making the same stuff, all new ideas are always welcome. My husband was thrilled to see that I was learning more recipes for baking. I think he is my biggest fan and the best taste tester ever! Thank you for your wonderful ideas and pictures…they really look great!

    JKurisko- I very much agree that our lives are extremely hectic, but you are very right there is always time for a warm taste treat. Let me know how your run through goes please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. no way!?! cake in cinnamon rolls!? YUM!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fun and how yummy!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, these look so GOOD! Love the idea.

    Thanks for sharing them in this week's Mingle Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips