Melissa's Cuisine: Salted Caramels

Friday, December 24, 2010

Salted Caramels


When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it! I was so excited to use a real vanilla bean, but first I had to find one! Not a lot of stores around here sell vanilla beans, but I discovered my new favorite store (and they carry vanilla beans)!!! I hope to make my own vanilla soon, and continue to make recipes using "fresh" vanilla, like the next recipe!

You will need:

1 cup heavy cream
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 vanilla bean pod, split and scraped
1-1/4 teaspoons sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup water


1. Heavily butter the bottom and sides of an 8x8 pan.

2. Bring cream, butter, vanilla, vanilla beans, pod, and sea salt to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and set aside.

3. Boil sugar, corn syrup, and water in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved.

4. Boil, without stirring but gently swirling pan, until mixture is a light golden caramel.

5. Remove vanilla pods and carefully stir cream mixture into the caramel (mixture will bubble up) and simmer, stirring frequently, until caramel registers 248 on a candy thermometer.

6. Pour into baking pan and cool 30 minutes.

7. Sprinkle another pinch or two of sea salt over the top of the caramel for a nice salty crunch and let sit until completely cooled.

8. Cut into 1-inch pieces (I buttered a pizza cutter), and store in an airtight container.

Source: Confections of a Foodie Bride

3 comments:

  1. I am going to try these. I already know how good yours tasted. That little bit of salt on top was wonderful!
    Where did you find the vanilla bean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love salted caramels! these look great. there are some fleur de sel caramels in my blog too if you're looking to try another recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

    - David

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog! I always look forward to reading your thoughts on my recipes!

01 10 11 12
Blogging tips